Author Topic: Tithe Parish records  (Read 398 times)

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tithe Parish records
« on: Sunday 18 February 24 06:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi I need some help.
 i wish to view the Tithe records for Tickmacrevan, Glenarm Lower on line. How do I go about it Please.
  I have gone into Proni, Search E catelogue and entered FIN/5
 Which gives me the heading Tithe Parishes Antrim. but don't know how to get the Parish I want.
Wyanga
Ireland: Taylor, Clark, Doyle, Pollock,Boyle
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 
Scotland: Campbell, McNaughtan, McKellar

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tithe Parish records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 24 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Search the e-catalogue under FIN/5/A/263 or use the words “Tickmacrevan tithe”. That takes you to a page where you click on the digital link to view the records. They sometimes take a while to download (due to their size) depending on your wifi strength.

This link gives you a summary of the same information for Tickmacrevan:

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/antrim/tithe-applotments/tickmacrevan-parish.php
Elwyn

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 February 24 10:47 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn Soutter
 Thank you for that and your link is much better than the way I was trying to access the Tithe records,
   Do you know if there are any earlier records for that area of Glenarm lower. It appears as if the 1740 Householders Report does not include that area. I am interested in landholders names
  I have a George and William Taylor in the 1669 Hearth money Rolls. at Ballyvady. I am trying to find how long the Taylor name persisted in the region. There are none in the Tithe records.
  My earliest Taylors were at Aird in 1734 with a George and a son Warren, I am theorising that they may have moved there from Ballyvady. The George died in 1738 so was most likely of advanced age.
     My link between Aird and Glenarm is that two brothers John McCollum and Hugh McCollum were acquiring land in both areas from the Earl of Antrim. When John McCollum died without issue his holding passed to John, son of Hugh McCollum so the relationship between them was close.
    So far I have not been able to find that there is group of Taylor descendants in Glenarm so it appears that the ones in 1669 have moved elsewhere. In the early records George is not a common name in Taylors, very likely of English descent, as in the 1734 Religious census they were Church of Ireland.
Wyanga
England: Toogood, Long, Ford, Lander, King, Dye,Copeman, Heness, Gardner, Robertson, Cameron, Sherwen, Bell 

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 February 24 11:28 GMT (UK) »
MacLysaght says of Taylor (Táilliúir): “This English occupational name (which is not used as a synonym of any Gaelic-Irish name) is well known in Ireland since the fourteenth century, and is now very numerous both in Ulster and in Dublin).

Brian S Turner’s book: “Family names in the Glens of Antrim” lists the name several times, from the Hearth money rolls (1669) there’s a James McTaylor in Drumkitt; In Tickmacrevan Pat Taylor in Glenarm Town (3 hearths) and William & George Taller (Taylor) in Mogley which he thinks may be Bay townland.  You perhaps have a source indicating it’s Ballyvaddy?

This parish was originally all Antrim estate land. You could search the Antrim Estates records in PRONI (D2977 collection) to see if any Taylors are listed as tenants in the late 1600s through to the 1800s. (Records will be in paper format, so personal visit is required). No Taylors in Ballyvaddy in the PRONI e-catalogue. If your family held land, you could try the Registry of Deeds which go back to about 1709. They are on-line on Familysearch.
Elwyn

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 24 00:07 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn Soutter,
                      Yes you are correct, my source is Bill McAffe's home page, Hearth money rolls and he gives Ballyvaddy as formaly Mogley.
    I am curious because as in later records there do not seem to be Taylors descendants in that area
 My first recorded Taylor is a George Taylor at Aird in 1734 Religious Census and I have a gut feeling that it just might be the same George Taylor at Ballyvaddy or a son. My George Taylor died in 1738 so he was likely of advanced age.
   I am thinking that there may have been a sourcing or exchange of tenants between the McCollum brothers John at Aird and Hugh at Glenarm. Although "Taylor" was a common name throughout the early Ireland records , "George" was not.
Wyanga

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 24 00:25 GMT (UK) »
What do you know about the Ballyvaddy Taylors you are trying to research? Were they farmers? Or did they have some other occupation? I ask because if farmers, they are more likely to have stayed put for generations but if labourers, weavers or other occupations (eg stonemasons) they will normally have moved around a lot to follow the available work.

Not only would they move for work  within Ireland but often across to Scotland (it's about 15 miles from Glenarm to Campbeltown) where many Irish folk worked in distilleries and coalmines, as well as elsewhere eg on farms in Ayrshire etc. Very hard to track folk like that. Often on the move.
Elwyn

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 24 01:30 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately I do not know their occupation . I only have the Hearth Money record which only indicates that they had an internal fireplace, which should indicate an established home.
 I imagine that there could be lease documents in the Earl of Antrim's records at PRONI if they were farmers but unless they have been digitised I am unable to search those from Australia. 
  My Taylors at Aird were farmers and yes the family remained there for some 200 years.
  I hadn't thought about the too and fro between Ireland and UK.
Wyanga

Offline wyanga

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 24 01:45 GMT (UK) »
Elwyn Soutter
   Could you give me a link to the deeds at familysearch.org ?
Wyanga

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 24 02:59 GMT (UK) »
The Registry of Deeds can be searched by either surname or townland.  With a common surname like Taylor the surname index is a bit of a struggle and my advice is to focus on townland

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/185720?availability=Family%20History%20Library

The way the records are held takes a little getting used to. But basically you need to search in Antrim, in Lower Glenarm Barony, Tickmacrevan parish and townland. That’s the way the records were kept. (Early records didn’t bother with the barony)

I’d search in the townland index for any Taylors in Ballyvaddy.  The indexes are in batches of years, so quite a few searches depending in how many years you want to search. If you find a Taylor In Ballyvaddy you then need to note the deed number and then look the actual deed up in the main records.  If you get the hang of it first time round you will win a prize (in my opinion). If you do find a Taylor in Ballyvaddy, give me the details and I’ll try and find the actual deed for you.

I think you live in Oz. Think about all this in terms of Oz records (about which I actually know nothing). If your ancestors owned a station for many years there would probably be some paper records. But if your ancestors were farmhands who worked here and there for a year or so before moving on, there probably wouldn’t be any records now for their stay on those stations. Would that be broadly right? Well it’d be the same in Ireland. Labourers would be on “at will” leases where either side could give notice at any time (and where there was rarely a written contract). Though it carried the risk of eviction without notice, it generally suited labourers as they could move to another townland to take advantage of unexpected work opportunities there. No notice was required. Paper records rarely existed for labourers/weavers in Ireland in the 1700s or early 1800s.

When your ancestors arrived in Oz what were they then? If they were farmers/station owners then they might have been that in Ireland (if they had the capital to get a station in Oz). But if they were labourers or farm workers then they were probably that in Ireland too.  Does that help?
Elwyn