Author Topic: Displaced persons GEDIMINAS and VELTA NORKAITIS arrived MELBOURNE on 20 Apr 1949  (Read 697 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all, You have been so useful in the past that I thought I might try you on this one. This couple were in the Schweinfurt Resettlement Camp after the war. They were married on 8 Nov 1948, by implication at Schweinfurt. The displaced persons documents I have found (initially calling Velta "Norkaitiene", using the feminine version of the surname) show they moved to Genoa and then Naples, where they boarded the "Svalbard" and left on 22 Mar 1949, arriving in Melbourne on 20 Apr 1949. I have their dates and places of birth. What I would really like to discover is Velta's maiden name, since she is using her married name in all the documents I have. She was born in Riga on 2 Jul 1928. Would anyone have access to he marriage details showing Velta's maiden name? Thanks, Geoff 

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Displaced persons GEDIMINAS and VELTA NORKAITIS arrived MELBOURNE on 20 Apr 1949
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 February 24 23:15 GMT (UK) »
A glance at the Electoral Rolls suggestes the couple had at least 1 (possibly more ) children.

Are you in touch with them?

I can PM you the name of a likely daughter who may be accessiblle for contact.

She has some exposure on a google search.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Displaced persons GEDIMINAS and VELTA NORKAITIS arrived MELBOURNE on 20 Apr 1949
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 24 07:21 GMT (UK) »
https://www.tm.gov.lv/lv/atkartotu-civilstavokla-aktu-registracijas-apliecinosu-dokumentu-izsniegsana

This is the link to request a marriage certificate in Latvia. You need to change the language to English at the top of the page. Looks a bit tricky.

Online records at Family search and Ancestry only go to 1909.
You could also go online to National Archives Australia and request a copy of their naturalisation which may give her maiden name. This file is OPEN to the public so not a breach of privacy.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 24 08:31 GMT (UK) »
I think they married in Germany after the war so the Latvian link might not cover that. But i’ll pursue the naturalisation. I got the dates from the gazette but I’ll investigate the certificates. Thanks.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 24 10:08 GMT (UK) »
For interest:
Doesn't help with Velta's maiden name, however there are advertisements in a Lithuanian language newspaper "Musu Pastoge" ("Australian Lithuanian Weekly -Our Haven") which I think translates as wanting Gediminas NORKAITIS to contact his brother Petras in Chicago. 3 March 1954.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 24 10:22 GMT (UK) »
That’s interesting. Diana and I met the Chicago branch of the Norkaitis family in 1984. They lived in a small area of the south of the city, clustered around the Lithuanian churches, delis etc. And they all had holiday homes together on the other side of Lake Michigan. It was a real little community.

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 24 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Velta SILABRIEDE ( aka SILABIEDIS)
Born: 2.7.28 Riga
Religion: evang.
Duagter of Pēteris SILABRIEDIS and Lidija ANDZĒNS

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 24 23:18 GMT (UK) »
That's excellent, thank you. It matches everything I have. The later documentation gives her religion as Lutheran, which I guess is the equivalent. I was beginning to despair of getting her maiden name, but to get her parents as well is a real bonus. Thanks to all who have helped. Geoff

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 00:53 GMT (UK) »
TreeSpirit, would you also have access to Lithuanian baptisms? I believe Gediminas Norkaitis was born in Gudelail, Lithuania, on 15 Feb 1926. I met his father in Lithuania in 1983, when his father was 88yo.  Would you know the names of Gediminas' parents?