Author Topic: Diary week ending 25th February  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary week ending 25th February
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 25 February 24 16:14 GMT (UK) »
I cannot knit, crochet or sew. Well I could not 50 years ago but lost interest what with work and life.
So I feel you have done so well.

Today has been really nice weather, blue skies and not a drop of rain.

I want to start in the garden but am holding off because of the insects using dead plants.
Wonder when I can start cutting down and clearing.

Probably April...

Have a lovely evening all 🤗🤗 quote author=Viktoria link=topic=880501.msg7531063#msg7531063 date=1708814001]
I hope you get that sorted L.M.
Very annoying though!

Well I did my curtains myself ,early this morning, then shopped with my trusty trolley .
I can plan my journey and the shops I need and  don’t need to retrace my steps etc,work in a circle ending nearest the bus stop.

Curtains and bed spread, a little curtain that hides my shoe rack , all washed and were out on the line in bright sunshine .
Now ironed and airing and in the bedding box tomorrow.

Decided to buy some cotton knitting yarn, I can’t find real 100% Cotton Lancashire  dishcloths, some are sold purporting to be 100% cotton but they are not so don’t wring out really dry .
Have started one on big needles , got two and a half inches done on number
7 needles,60 stitches.
I can pick it up as and when .
Well bed calls,I got four hours sleep last night - a record for me lately .

Well a new week starting, don’t they fly by!

Church tomorrow.
Cheerio. Viktoria.
[/quote]

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Sunday 25 February 24 16:29 GMT (UK) »
It has rained all day  at times quite heavily.  Two out of the three roads into the next town are flooded and we are supposed to be going out for a meal tonight in that town.  Hope we make it.  Husband and son were supposed to be working in his garden today planting some trees, but have decided against it. We are going to Hampshire for a few days soon and are praying for some sunshine! We had planned to visit Gilbert White's garden.  It looks as though we sha ll need our wellies.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Sunday 25 February 24 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Just caught a snippet of the BBC sports - "and the post came to the aid of Liverpool."  Really - do goalposts move?   ;D ;D
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 25 February 24 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Sadly —- people do “ move the goalposts!”

Church this morning ,a nice young man gave the sermon, he is interested in being ordained.
He is however  dyslexic, but did  extremely well.
It reminded me of a good friend in Belgium ,our two families - both English- met often ,we all were from Lancashire.

It was his turn to read the lesson , he needed glasses but was loathe to get his eyes tested.
He had nor read the passage through beforehand.
Standing at the lectern —— “ The lesson this morning is taken from———
“ Iccelesielasticus “—— (Ecclesiastes ), we all had a good laugh .
We did not let him forget that !

When we did the OXFAM concerts every Christmas he was Master of Ceremonies, one year when making the appeal he exhibited a huge cheap clock ,bigger than a dinner plate ,he set it for two minutes ,all was silent ,when the alarm rang ,he said “During those two minutes - (gave a number verified by OXFAM-) children died of starvation ,disease ,warfare .
So please give generously , the collection boxes are coming round , if you give generously we won’t ask  the Choir to sing again “———-( we were not
all that good) lots of cheers ,but we often gave encores .
We were so bad we were funny!
Pretty international really, so some local accents, some Received Pronunciation ,American , Belgian , British .
It was good fun and we all enjoyed it all, rehearsals and concerts.
My O.H was The Sheriff of Deadwood City, I was Annie Oakley  ::)
We did Old Time Music Hall, he was Master of Ceremonies , I sang “My old Man Said Follow The Van”, it really was good fun .

Bright day but very cold .
Quick tea, smoked salmon tagliatelle with olives and capers.
Son has been busy in his house my eldest son was helping him .

Well a cup of tea I think.

Cheerio, look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 26 February 24 00:07 GMT (UK) »
That's a lovely memory Viktoria. How sad you can't post a sound file here for My Old Man.
I would love to hear our old party songs again, alas, no-one recorded them. Packed house, Doors off the hinges, Grandad playing the piano with knitting needles threaded through the strings to make a honky tonk sound. Wooden barrels in the kitchen. All the kids asleep upstairs.  Such fun. x

Offline jimbo50

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 26 February 24 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Just caught a snippet of the BBC sports - "and the post came to the aid of Liverpool."  Really - do goalposts move?   ;D ;D
They do if you're from Liverpool  ;D (from a slightly disappointed 70 year long Chelsea supporter). Anyone's game to win. x