Author Topic: Birth of Ivy CALDWELL abt 1891  (Read 3965 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Birth of Ivy CALDWELL abt 1891
« on: Monday 19 February 24 10:21 GMT (UK) »
Hope you can help? 

I'm looking for Ivy (sometimes Ivy Isobel) Caldwell's birth in England in 1891. 

According to US census records, she was born in 1891 and immigrated to the US in 1893.  Married Robert Barber Goodman, a lumberman, in 1914 but I can only see the marriage index so little extra detail.  Later divorced and married Raymond J Plunkett.

One census stated 'unknown' date of immigration, so 1893 might be a guess by her.  Her age varies a bit between censuses too, so 1891 could be wrong too.  I haven't found her in a Caldwell family on a passenger list yet.

A US social security transcript states she was a child of William Caldwell and Janet Brown (Janet seems too modern a name so it could be a transcription error?), but I've found a marriage with Jane Brown registered in Wakefield in Q1 1891, which is why I've posted in the West Riding board.. However I wonder if Jane Brown wasn't her birth mother.

I can find an Ivy Caldwell with a birth registered in Settle in Q3 1892, with MMN of Kelly, and there is a William Caldwell marrying an Emily Kelly in Rochdale in 1889.  There is an Emily Caldwell dying soon after, but then there is also an Emily Caldwell born in the area so without getting a lot of certificates it's hard to know.

The other Ivy (Olive M) Caldwell, born Greenwich, appears in various records continuing to live in England so she is not the right Ivy.

Of course, her birth may not have been registered as Ivy or Isobel and these were just her favoured names or nicknames, which does make it more difficult!  And she may have invented/guessed parental names too if something happened to them when she was quite young, so she never knew their exact names.

Edit - posted on the immigration board too https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=880516.0
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Ivy CALDWELL abt 1891
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 24 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with where she was born, however there are a couple of mentions of her graduating "First, honour in scholarship" from the Francis Shimer School. ("Ivy Isobel Caldwell, Chicago")
eg Chicago Tribune
8 Jun 1911

If she was a student  there in 1911, she should be in the 1910 census somewhere nearby, to see who she is living with. Can't readily see her.

Robert Barber GOODMAN was managing director of the Goodman Lumber Co. On their divorce in 1930 he was described as a millionaire.

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 24 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for those records - certainly a lead re 1910 census so will take another look for her.  I wonder if her surname was recorded wrongly if in another household?

Although in the 1920 census it says she didn't go to school. Perhaps school means college or higher ed.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 February 24 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Nothing for William Caldwell or Ivy in the 1900 or 1910 US censuses.  There is a William Caldwell but born in Canada and in much earlier censuses.

Of course William could have died/divorced and Jane Caldwell nee Brown re-married then emigrated to the USA, or re-married once in the USA.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 February 24 12:28 GMT (UK) »
https://archive.org/details/FrancesShimerQuarterlyVol.3No.1/page/n57/mode/2up?view=theater has an Ivy Caldwell listed on p58 with honours.

Listed as Ivy Isabel Caldwell later as a pupil up to 1st April 1911 on a later page.

Also listed as a pupil to 1st April 1910 https://archive.org/details/FrancesShimerQuarterlyVol.3No.1/page/n57/mode/2up?view=theater

Not listed in June 1909, but mentioned as a cast member of a play in the Oct 1909 newsletter https://archive.org/details/FrancesShimerQuarterlyVol.1No.3/page/n33/mode/2up

In the newsletter section Scattered Family for issue June 1914, 'Ivy Caldwell Goodman '11 sends a very enthusiastic description of her home in Goodman, Wis.'
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 February 24 12:32 GMT (UK) »
Do those reports suggest a later birthdate than 1891?  She would have been 20yrs old in 1911

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 February 24 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Good point. I need to read one of those school prospectuses thoroughly to see what ages were accepted.  I did read that they offered a junior high 4year course, and another course, but she only appears for 2 years. Need to check!

Edit: just seen your 'ignore'.  It's hard to know what 'school' means in the US isn't it?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 February 24 12:52 GMT (UK) »
If it was the equivalent of a university - it would probably fit in with an 1891 birthyear
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 February 24 12:56 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find some of the more unusual names on that list on the 1900 or 1910 census but the only ones I've found that "stand alone" are Laurel Gillogly who appears to have been born 1893 and Iona Bickelhaupt - 1889