Author Topic: Birth of Ivy CALDWELL abt 1891  (Read 4188 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Birth of Ivy CALDWELL abt 1891
« Reply #180 on: Thursday 07 March 24 18:29 GMT (UK) »
I've found Ivy Isabel Caldwell listed at Francis Shimer school 1908-9 school year, so that's a few months further back for her first sighting.

Looking at older calendars that the school produced, there are no pupils named Ivy.  Some Isabels. But where her full name wasn't stated in 1908-11, she was listed as Ivy Caldwell not Isabel Caldwell so perhaps the other Isabels can be discounted.  She would presumably have been a Caldwell from at least June 1900 in any case.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Thursday 07 March 24 22:22 GMT (UK) »

Disappointingly the Scottish birth record is for June 30th 1891 5hrs 50mins (that implies a twin but the preceding birth record is on another page) to Alexander Caldwell, fireman, and Isabella Caldwell m/s (maiden surname?) Brown married April 23rd 1895 at Barrhead.

All births in Scotland have the time recorded and does not indicate a twin.  There are no other CALDWELL births indexed apart from Isabella.

Debra  :)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Thursday 07 March 24 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. Although the next entry on the page didn’t have a time which is why I thought aha twins.

When did they start putting times on do you know?

The birth cert is much more useful than the English ones as it gives the date and place of marriage although could  that be fiction if necessary to legitimise the birth?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Friday 08 March 24 03:06 GMT (UK) »
The hour of birth has been included on Scottish Birth Certificates since registration began in 1855.  :)
https://www.scotlandsgenealogy.com/blog/scottish-birth-certificate-information

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Friday 08 March 24 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Just looked again and yes the time of birth is on the other entries on the page, just not as prominent as for Ivy's, and hard to read.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Saturday 09 March 24 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Just confirmed by my DNA link, a ggrandson of Ivy, that yes, she lived well past 100 and he thought she was 104 when she died.  He will be quizzing his mother for more info.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Janet/Jeanette Isabella Brown, I have now received a marriage cert that confirms that her mother, Emma Brown nee Woods, was sister to Ada Matilda Woods, who married William Robinson Wayland. Confirming that Janet and W A Wayland were cousins.  And also helping me decipher my DNA matches.

The marriage cert:
4 April 1878. William Robinson Wayland 50 widower shorthand writer, son of Abraham Wayland deceased Baptist minister; Ada Matilda Woods 38 spinster, daughter of Edward Woods deceased attorney. Both 35 Parliament St, Westminster.  By licence. At register office in the parish of St George Hanover Square, Middx.  Witnesses James A Heltham?; J Hooper Inescus?  The handwriting is a bit scratchy so I'll post this on the handwriting forum to check the witness surnames.

Thanks to all of you with your help, and perhaps Ivy Caldwell will emerge one day!

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 17:52 GMT (UK) »

Delighted the research checked out ok.

Something strange about Ivy Isabel, she might not have been a Caldwell at all  :-\

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 18:21 GMT (UK) »
I think you're right. Just took the Caldwell name later?  So I need to be looking for Ivy and/or Isabel Brown I think.  Although I did look before but perhaps not thoroughly enough.  I'm going through the various family members now on censuses to see if a child pops up.
Crook, Bannister, Warren