Author Topic: James Pead ( husband of Sarah Durdant )  (Read 357 times)

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Pead ( husband of Sarah Durdant )
« on: Monday 19 February 24 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find the burial record of James Pead, coachman of London.

He was married to Sarah Durdant on 25.03.1780 at St Luke Old Street, Finsbury.

I have deduced that he must have died between 1805 and 1807 because:
His son James's apprenticeship dated 21.05.1805 has 'son of James Pead, of Aldersgate Street, Coachman' however
His other son Robert George's apprenticeship dated 02.06.1807 has 'son of James Pead, of Aldersgate Street, Coachman deceased'
Also his wife Sarah took out an insurance policy dated 18.07.1810 and is described as widow.

I have searched and searched and can find no burial record. It is very important as burial records at this date generally record an age and this is needed to confirm which James Pead in Suffolk this guy is. I have reason to believe this as the 1795 Will of James Pead of Wenhaston cites his nephews James & William Pead coachmen of London.

Many years ago I was in contact with researchers into the Durdant Peads of London ( Sarah's maiden name was used as a middle name for many of James & Sarah's descendants but I lost trace of them and emigrated to Portugal.

If anyone has any information on a burial record I would be so grateful to know.

many thanks
John

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Pead ( husband of Sarah Durdant )
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 08:00 GMT (UK) »
If you google "Guild of one name studies" there is a Derek Heritage you can contact through the site.

He is using the spelling Pead/Peed

Just click on his name and it brings up the email to contact him.

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 19:57 GMT (UK) »

Yes I know Derek quite well and he is overdue for an email from me so I will write tomorrow.

If you google "Guild of one name studies" there is a Derek Heritage you can contact through the site.

He is using the spelling Pead/Peed

Just click on his name and it brings up the email to contact him.

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 20:08 GMT (UK) »
This probably relates to brother William Pead:

Fire Insurance Registers:
Register Date/ Company/ Reference   1781 sun 1 293 20\06\78 jt
Policy Number   443539
Insured Value in £s 100
Forename   William
Surname   Pead
Occupation/Status   Coachmaster
Place Name 1   Blackhorse Yard
Place Name 2   Aldersgate Street

Does the 1795 Will of James Pead provide any other family details to go on, besides citing his two nephews in London?

Offline Mercian7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 24 12:44 GMT (UK) »
Actually you made me think about this guy. I knew about the insurance policy record in the LMA but this morning I did some reasearch and think that this William is the uncle of James & William Pead. It actually makes sense as I have his age at burial in 1799 and this roughly ties up with the baptism of the Wenhaston testator's older brother John Pead's son William. Also I had no records of what had happened to this guy as he also seems to disapear from Suffolk.

I also received a copy of the ML for James Pead to Sarah Durdant yesterday and it has an age of 21 and upwards for Sarah which ties in well as her baptism in 1760 would have made her approx 20 yrs old in 1780. James is recorded as 27 yrs and upwards which, looking at a possible baptism in Suffolk in 1747 would make a 33 year gap and 27 to 33 is not exactly a huge error in age in those days. I I am inclined to think that this James Pead coachman in London is indeed the James Pead baotised in Westerfield Suffolk, the son of Robert and Mary Peed.

This probably relates to brother William Pead:

Fire Insurance Registers:
Register Date/ Company/ Reference   1781 sun 1 293 20\06\78 jt
Policy Number   443539
Insured Value in £s 100
Forename   William
Surname   Pead
Occupation/Status   Coachmaster
Place Name 1   Blackhorse Yard
Place Name 2   Aldersgate Street

Does the 1795 Will of James Pead provide any other family details to go on, besides citing his two nephews in London?

Offline ragdoll5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 February 24 16:41 GMT (UK) »
I too have been looking for the death of James Pead and have come to the same conclusions as you.
I suspected that William was either father / uncle of James Pead & Robert. interesting there is a robert Dardent at the same address in some of the land tax records
1780 William Pead for Coach House Stables - Robert Dardent for Coach house and stables next door
Would be most interested if you were able to share a transcript of the James pead will.

Offline ragdoll5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 24 12:37 GMT (UK) »
I also have more info on William Pead (1726-1799) he married Dinah Hoyland and had 4 children all of whom died in infancy. 2 of these children were called John.
And of course James Pead & Sarah Durdants first child was Sarah Dinah...

Offline Robert P

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

I believe we were in contact quite a few years ago - you lived in Hampshire at the time?  I too am working on the relationship between James Pead of Wenhaston and James husband of Sarah.  I have similar conclusions but will investigate further.  Cheers Rob P