Author Topic: Westbourne House, 17 Westbourne Road, Edgbaston.  (Read 338 times)

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Westbourne House, 17 Westbourne Road, Edgbaston.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 19 February 24 18:48 GMT (UK) »
So now I am totally confused because I have found another 1901 census entry for a Westbourne, apparently in Westbourne Road. This one also has a lodge, occupied by a gardener. The next schedule number is Oakmount, then Courtlands, which fits with the map.

At this Westbourne, in the main house is Charles Dixon and industrialist, his wife Agnes M Dixon and their family including Christiana, 7. Unclear how she would have given permission for a meeting in 1906 however.

Apologies for the confusion.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 16:20 GMT (UK) »
1901: 17 Westbourne Road, Charlotte A Lindner, 78, living own means
17 (lodge) is adjacent: Hubert Croft, policeman with his family.

She died in 1909, but probate record says that she was of Chad Valley, Westbourne Road, so she must have moved along the road.

In 1891 she is also at number 17 but her husband Max Lindner, 76, is there too, and he is "Export Merchant and German Consul". William Plover? coachman is at the lodge with his family.

When the property was put up for auction in 1912, it was named as Chad Valley so I think it's the same place.

Having Max Lindner's death in 1898 means that I can be fairly sure that John Dalby had been their gardener for a long time. Because of what his son, Leonard, told the family, his father must have started working there while Max was still alive.  Leonard worked for his father as a gardener but his father was such a hard taskmaster that Leonard left and joined the army.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shropshire Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 16:31 GMT (UK) »
So now I am totally confused because I have found another 1901 census entry for a Westbourne, apparently in Westbourne Road. This one also has a lodge, occupied by a gardener. The next schedule number is Oakmount, then Courtlands, which fits with the map.

At this Westbourne, in the main house is Charles Dixon and industrialist, his wife Agnes M Dixon and their family including Christiana, 7. Unclear how she would have given permission for a meeting in 1906 however.

Apologies for the confusion.

I think the property was renamed Chad Valley by 1901.  In the census, it's just described as 17 Westbourne Road. 
The property on the other side of the botanic gardens was by then called Westbourne.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk