Author Topic: CALDWELL family from England to N. America c1893  (Read 827 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
CALDWELL family from England to N. America c1893
« on: Monday 19 February 24 18:16 GMT (UK) »
This cross references with this post https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=880505.0

I'm looking for Ivy Isabel CALDWELL, who gave her father as William C and mother as Jane(t) Brown to the U.S. authorities at some point.

She married in the USA in 1914 to Robert Barber Goodman, lumberman, and in the 1920 Federal census her immigration date is unknown, but in 1930 it is given as 1893.  Accurate? She is listed as born in England, with English-born parents. She gives 1891 as her year of birth but I can't find this at all, only William C and Jane Brown marrying in Wakefield in 1891, and Ivy Caldwell born Settle 1892. Which may or may not be her.

I can't find her or her parents in any US census, and can't find them on passenger lists separately or as a family. I have wondered if they travelled to Canada first.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: CALDWELL family from England to N. America c1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 07:03 GMT (UK) »
There is an Ancestry tree which gives her date of birth as March 1891 no further detail.
She is not recorded on 1891 census April, and you would think she should be there if born March 1891.
The family is not listed on 1901 census UK so safe to assume they sailed b/n 1892 and 1901. They lived in Yorkshire as you say and perhaps Liverpool would be the closest port for departure.
Findmypast requires a subscription to check the Outward passengers from UK which I do not have.
Genes Reunited has same passenger lists but doesn"t like my email address.. haven't used that site for ages.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 08:27 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou Shume but meanwhile there’s been a very active thread on my post on the same subject here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=880505.0

Rootschatters (mostly Sandra) have found every other person in this family including Ivy Isabella in the USA from 1909 but not a trace of her in the UK. All very frustrating. I have an Ancestry sub but often struggle to get the best from it.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Just for reference so that people can see without trawling thru 20 pages on the other thread.

Not all census information is reliable, her birth date or year could vary, immigration dates vary, names vary, the informants knowledge may be sketchy !!

jonw65 - reply 68 the other thread found Janet Brown on the Gallia going from Liverpool to New York  heading to Indiana -  arriving New York 13 March 1893

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J6BK-16G

You mention the Wakefield connection for the marriage of William Caldwell and Jane Brown in 1891    Also the birth of a Ivy Caldwell in Settle in 1892.

We tried to cover this scenario on the other thread. A marriage between a William Caldwell and Emma Kelly took place Smallbridge Lanacashire  and they appear to have  lived in Yorkshire in 1891 This brought two births (below)  They then  moved and by 1901 lived in Blackburn which also fitted the birth and death details of Ivy Caldwell.

The birth of Ivy Caldwell in Settle appears to be this one we spoke of in reply 78 on the other thread - there was also a male Richard Ernest Caldwell born 1890 Settle - the maiden name of mother in both cases was Kelly.

CALDWELL, IVY       KELLY 
GRO Reference: 1892  S Quarter in SETTLE  Volume 09A  Page 17

CALDWELL, RICHARD  ERNEST     KELLY 
GRO Reference: 1890  D Quarter in SETTLE  Volume 09A  Page 17

Those parents appear on the 1901 Census with just the son Richard Ernest Caldwell.

jonw65 found a death of Ivy Caldwell in Blackburn in 1895

CALDWELL, IVY       2 
GRO Reference: 1895  J Quarter in BLACKBURN  Volume 08E  Page 274

The only way forward would be to purchase that marriage certificate for William Caldwell and Jane in Wakefield to discount them.  HOWEVER, we did find a marriage of William Caldwell to Jane Brown in Montreal.  William Caldwell was a mariner so may not be listed on a passenger list even as crew. 

Ivy Isabella Caldwell born before the marriage in Montreal 1900, could have a different surname.
Could have been a child born to Jane Brown when she lived in England, Canada or the USA.

The early passenger lists sometimes don't give enough details to positively identify people.

Ivy Isabel Plunkett born in 1891 died in Kern Bakersfield California 14 December 1996.  Never found a death notice for her or any report re her age 105 years (wow) - or a birthday at 100 years (wow) which you would have thought there might be.

There should be a death notice (listed page 20 this link below)

Kern County Genealogical Society
Bakersfield Californian Death Index

1215 tells us the death notice was in a newspaper on 15 th December (of that year 1996)

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01t1n/

A copy of the obituary, or death notice, may be obtained by submitting a Research Request Form.  Be certain to include the name of your ancestor, and the date shown in the index, with your request form.

https://www.kerngenealogical.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=872074&module_id=468008

There is an email address and snail address but it looks like the request form is the way to go.

Kern County Genealogical Society
PO Box 2214, Bakersfield, CA 93301-2214
(661) 868-0773
KCGS Info:
technologychair@kerngenealogical.org

OR contact the

Bakersfield Californian Newspaper, Bakersfield,
California.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 06 March 24 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Other possibilities are that she is listed on  shipping record as "infant" as she may be under 1 yr old and her parents as Mr and Mrs Caldwell.
The marriage b/n Wm and Janet is confirmed Jan 1/4 1891 Wakefield.
Purchasing her death cert/obituary probably isn't a worthwhile exercise as the information given is only as accurate as the informant knows.
But it seems she was 105 yrs old!
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 24 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Sandra found ‘our’ Janet Brown marrying William Caldwell in June 1900 in Montreal. William Caldwell (a Scot) had his masters cert of competence a year before and a newspaper announcement about the marriage stated that they sailed for England on the Oceanic afterwards. If he/they sailed as crew then they wouldn’t be on the passenger list. Not that I’ve found a sailing or a crew/passenger list. The newspaper report could give the wrong ship though.

Janet turned up on the UK 1901 census with her brother in Birkenhead. No child listed.

She divorced William C in 1904 on the grounds of no support.

Janet Brown is likely the right person arriving in the US on the Gallia in 1893. Heading for Indiana. Because her other brother had settled there.

She appears on the records a few years later in Chicago, then South Bend, then Chicago in an 1889 directory (so 1888 info?). Then marrying in 1900.

Ivy Isabel presumably took the Caldwell surname then and she pops up in the records in a boarding school in the US in 1909. As I write this I realise that I haven’t looked at the much earlier school records for her with a Brown surname. Job for later this week.

Janet could have been Ivy’s mother or stepmother. Ivy could have been left in the UK with family and taken to the US much later. Was she William’s and Janet’s child? William’s and AN Other? Janet’s and AN Other?

Crook, Bannister, Warren