Author Topic: Alexander & Alice Patience, buried Rockwood Cemetery 7 June 1920, 16 June 1923.  (Read 358 times)

Offline wb54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
 Hi everyone,
                      Could anyone please help, I’am searching for two family names.
                      Alice Parsons c1861 & Alexander Patience c1864, married in Belfast
                      26 December 1881.   Father John Patience.

They had two children, Alexander 1883, Henrietta 1886, who pasted
                      away age 2 1889.
                      1886 is the last record that I can find of both parents.

There is a Alexander Patience 28, who married in Belfast 1893.
                      Marked down as widower, same father’s name John.
                      I can’t find any information on a death Alice Patience, who’s husband
                      is called Alexander.     This Alexander could fit in but not sure.

Here is my brick wall.
                      I have found a Alexander Patience buried 7 June 1920. Plot H Zone C /2451.
                      Alice Patience buried 16 June 1923.  No age down. 
                      Place of death Millers Point.
                      Rockwood Cemetery, Rockwood.

I have been in touch with the cemetery, but sorry to say no luck
                       with any age.  Would there be any information on records that might
                       help find if there is a link to Belfast?

Any help would be appreciated, best regards.
                             Billy.
ballance-belfast,derry,tyrone.parsons-dublin,belfast.lucas-tyrone,belfast.davidson-belfast,newcastle-upon-tyne.rankin-holy island,newcastle-upon-tyne.aitchison-belford,newcastle-upon-tyne,gateshead.harbottle-belford,northumberland, nz & australia.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander & Alice Patience, buried Rockwood Cemetery 7 June 1920, 16 June 1923.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 February 24 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Both are on www.findagrave.com

Appears to be Rookwood - not Rockwood

You can ask for a photo of the headstones but I think there is a charge

Alexander was 59 & spouse is shown as Regina Mary Hicks Brindle 1876 - 1920  married 1897

Alice was 58 - no other details
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander & Alice Patience, buried Rockwood Cemetery 7 June 1920, 16 June 1923.
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 February 24 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Four funeral notices for Alexander PATIENCE. Mentions of family members.
The fourth is at the top of the second column.

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/15893200

Sue

ADDING
Alice's funeral Notice in 1923
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/245806282
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 00:13 GMT (UK) »
This is the NSW BMD index record

PATIENCE Alexander
5023/1920
Father Alexander
Mother Janet
SYDNEY

PATIENCE Alice
4919/1923
Father George
Mother -
SYDNEY

The Electoral Roll ,Sydney shows this man to be a coal lumper.

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Not helpful in finding his origins, and you probably have these anyway..
Edit to add - I see Sue has already posted these references - sorry!

Death/Funeral notices for Alex Patience
The Sydney Morning Herald, Mon 7 Jun 1920, Page 5, Family Notices
Invitations to attend funeral (Leaving from the residence 2 High St, Miller's Point to Rookwood), from:
Wife Alice Patience
Daughter : Mrs F Findlay
Son-in-law and grandchildren: Mr J Fletcher and Alice and Fred
Members of the Coal Lumpers Union

Funeral Notices for Alice
The Sydney Morning Herald, Sat 16 Jun 1923, Page 11, Family Notices
Invitations to attend funeral (Leaving from the residence 2 High St, Miller's Point to c of E cemetery, Rookwood),
Friends of Mrs Alice Patience
Children: Mr and Mrs F Findlay, Mr and Mrs E Imber, Mr and Mrs A O"Keeffe, Mr George Prentice, "also Mr Jim Fletcher" (so relationship of Jim Fletcher not given.

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 05:13 GMT (UK) »
there is an on-line tree which seems to be well-researched and facts verified through outside records.

This tree suggests that their Alexander Patience married Alice Matthews, 1895 in Sydney.  The names of the children of this couple fit the names in those Funeral notices. 

The tree suggests that their Alexander Patience was born in Scotland, 1853 with parents Alexander and Helen (NSW death index gives his parents as Alexander and Janet - so not a match for the mother in the tree)
An Alex'r Patience, labourer, 21, Scottish, arrived in Melbourne January 1871 per ship Essex, departed Plymouth.

The Rookwood record shows
Alick Patience, 69
Death Date   6 Jun. 1920
Cemetery   Rookwood, Section   H, Row   18
Denomination   Old Church Of England
So the ages fit.

On the tree Alice Matthews' parents are given as George Matthews and Drusilla Cothren.  This Alice's birth is given as abt 1866 in Dudley, Staffordshire UK

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 05:17 GMT (UK) »

Alexander was 59 & spouse is shown as Regina Mary Hicks Brindle 1876 - 1920  married 1897

Important to note there were 2 alexander PATIENCE men in Sydney.
It was the other who was married to Regina HICKS...

This is his death

PATIENCE ALEXANDER
230/1916
Father  ALEXANDER
Mother MARY
SYDNEY

Information on the biographies on findagrave does not come from headstones.. It comes from contributions.  Not always wise to accept them.

Adding for interest-
Alex Patience in the water in 1905. Saved off Bradley Head

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/231860008

Offline wb54

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 20:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
                     I would like to say thanks very much for all your information
                     that you sent me.       I can now cross Alexander & Alice off.
                     Some times it’s easy to make the age of people fit the bill.

Alice is the link on my fathers side, guess I was hoping they
                    where the right one’s.      Need to keep searching.
                    Best regards and again thank you all.
                          Billy.
ballance-belfast,derry,tyrone.parsons-dublin,belfast.lucas-tyrone,belfast.davidson-belfast,newcastle-upon-tyne.rankin-holy island,newcastle-upon-tyne.aitchison-belford,newcastle-upon-tyne,gateshead.harbottle-belford,northumberland, nz & australia.