Author Topic: Change of name in Victorian times…how easy?  (Read 274 times)

Offline nellie d

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Change of name in Victorian times…how easy?
« on: Tuesday 20 February 24 17:19 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering how easy it would have been to change your name in the 1800’s.
My reason for asking this is that I think that my gt grandfather FJF may have done just this in c1879.
He appears in records with the name that I know him as FJF and the same occupation, that is in, census returns, births and marriage records of his children and two of his his and marriage certificates. (He had 4 “wives”) on his married certs his father’s name (FF) and occupation are given.
There are no records for him in the name I know him as before 1879.
This other chap FJH has the same two first names and same profession as my chap. Father has same first names F and profession. I found this on the baptism and marriage certificate for FJH.
FJH has records census, baptism and marriage up until 1879, then he disappears.
FJF abandoned his first “wife”, for whom there is no record of marriage but 4 children and “married” my gt gt grandmother, again for whom there is no record of marriage and one child.
Now…I have DNA matches to descendants of the children from his two “marriages” under the name FJF…and have just discovered DNA matches to the descendants of two the children of FJH. These matches place the descendants of both FJF and FJH at the same level of relationship to me.
So…to my original question. How easy would it have been for someone to change his identity back then? These days, we need our birth and marriage certificates to prove who we are. Would it have been easier, back then, to get away without these documents…or get forgeries, if needed?

Mayhew,Birch,Coates,Norman - Suffolk
Masters - Somerset
Richardson, Masters, Langridge, Dyer, Chambers - Sussex
Dyer, Luscombe, Hurrell - Devon
Chambers - Brecon
Lambden, Hawkins - Berkshire
Biggs, Cooper, Druce, Hedges, Haywood, Francis,Ward, Skidmore, Pinfold, Dorn, Gardener, Hopgood - Oxfordshire
Francis, Clarke - Lambeth/Surrey
Rowland, Emmett, Lockhart - Southwark/Middlesex
Simpson, Exall, Mann, Frisby,  - Kent
Ward, Teasdale, Smalwood - Yorkshire
Tomkins, Bayliss - Warwickshire

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Change of name in Victorian times…how easy?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Anyone is free to use whatever name they want - even today.

I can't think of any occasion  a person at that time would be required to produce a birth, or marriage, certificate.

( with the exception possibly of  the need to prove a child was old enough to work, under the later Factory Acts)

Offline nellie d

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 February 24 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Anyone is free to use whatever name they want - even today.

I can't think of any occasion a person at that time would be required to produce a birth, or marriage, certificate.
Thank you Antony MMM .
So it’s quite possible then, that my gt gt grandfather was a bigamist then. I didn’t think that it would have been as “strict” back then. Thank you for the confirmation.
Mayhew,Birch,Coates,Norman - Suffolk
Masters - Somerset
Richardson, Masters, Langridge, Dyer, Chambers - Sussex
Dyer, Luscombe, Hurrell - Devon
Chambers - Brecon
Lambden, Hawkins - Berkshire
Biggs, Cooper, Druce, Hedges, Haywood, Francis,Ward, Skidmore, Pinfold, Dorn, Gardener, Hopgood - Oxfordshire
Francis, Clarke - Lambeth/Surrey
Rowland, Emmett, Lockhart - Southwark/Middlesex
Simpson, Exall, Mann, Frisby,  - Kent
Ward, Teasdale, Smalwood - Yorkshire
Tomkins, Bayliss - Warwickshire

Online Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 08:11 GMT (UK) »
I found in my Sister in Laws line that one of her relations moved, changed their surname, yet stayed in the same profession.

He used his Mothers maiden name as his surname.

I never found out why and only identified him when at census time he had relations staying with him that had the same birth surname as he originally had and the relationships tallied with actuals.

So yes, it was easy to change names.

In a different tree one even emigrated under a changed family name, after deserted his family in England, then both he and his Wife committed bigamy and went on to have more children

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 08:29 GMT (UK) »
Divorce was beyond the reach of most people.
So bigamy, or moving in with a new partner, was an easier solution.

Please note: it's only bigamy if another marriage took place.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)