Author Topic: Angus McLeod born 1823 Lochbroom  (Read 539 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Angus McLeod born 1823 Lochbroom
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 20:36 GMT (UK) »
For any Australians following this thread: regarding their Angus, no luck at all.

Angus and Mary McLeod arrived into New South Wales  on board the
"Winifred"  on 1st November 1856 with son Archibald.

Immigration records show this man to be aged 32, native to Ross, his wife is aged 21 and she and the infant are native to Argyle.  His death registration in Queensland names his parents as Allan and Christina, her maiden surname is recorded as McLEOD.

There is a baptism for Angus and a marriage for Allan and Christina at Lochbroom which would appear to fit this scenario.

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Have found the better immigration record, it was hiding under 'McTHERD'  ::)

Angus was a Shepherd, native to Lochbroom, Ross, parents Allan and Christina, mother dead, father living at Lochbroom.  Mary and Archibald are native to Killean, Campbelltown, Argyleshire, Mary's parents are Archibald and Mary McSPURREN living at Killean.

Debra  :)

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Debra.  I think I have found the two Angus McLeods aged 20 in the 1841 census.  One is in Achandrean and the other is Badinscally.  I suspect a remarriage or possibly something else has added to the difficulty in locating the right people.

I wonder how Angus McLeod met Mary McSporran.  Four year old Archibald McLeod's birth is recorded in 1856 KILLEAN AND KILCHENZIE.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I've checked through my remaining notes but I don't think I have any more than what you can find on Don's site, and you've located Roderick McLeod and Christina McLeod, who I remembered from investigating the area 15-20 years or so ago!

Badenscallie is still crofted by a McLeod family. It is  the area that contains the Coigach burial ground.  I've visited Glutton, Ardmair a few times as friends lived there. Auchendrain is beyond the beginning of Loch Broom just NW or Braemore on the main road to Dingwall and Inverness.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 22 February 24 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gadget.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 10 March 24 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Based on info I have given below I don't think the Angus McLeod who married Mary McSporran and had a son Archibald registered in Scotland in 1856 came from Ross-shire.  I believe this Angus McLeod was born between 1829 and 1834 in Argyll.  Perhaps the Archibald McLeod born in 1856 is a clue to the grandfather's name.  I suspect Angus, aged 18, is with a family of McLeods from Torosay in Mull, Argyll in 1851.  Parents: NORMAN MACLEOD/SARAH MACKINNON.  It is also possible he is from Tyree with parent ARCHIBALD MACLEOD/ANN CAMERON except I cannot find a corresponding birth record.

The info I got from Donald MacDonald-Ross was this "Angus born 8 April 1823 Lochbroom, parents Murdoch McLeod 1794- and Ann McLeod 1799-
"Living at Fearn in 1851 is Murdoch McLEOD, 57, Ann MLEOD, 52, Angus McLEOD, 26, Kenneth McLEOD, 22, Donald McLEOD, 19, and Mary McLEOD, 16.  Everyone in the family is said to be born at Lochbroom.  In 1861 they are in Tarbat."

I found this also:
There is an Allan McLeod who married Christian McLeod 16 Jan 1815 and an Allan MacLeod who married Isobel Graham 11 Feb 1819 in Lochbroom.
Potentially JOHN chr 03/02/1820, JOHN 10/02/1821, MURDOCH 01/11/1822, ANGUS 04/08/1823, MARGARET
15/08/1827, CATHARINE 17/03/1830, and KENNETH 17/10/1830 all of Lochbroom are his offspring.
There are two Allan McLeod as possible parents one is from Ullapool and the other from Achnaherd.

Achnaherd
Allan 50    Crofter,    Janet 40 (possible wife), Murdo 20, Alex 10, Kath 5, Christy 5, and John 2.