Author Topic: Rachel Davies (Rees) Llandysul/Llandyssil 1814 - 1901  (Read 316 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Rachel Davies (Rees) Llandysul/Llandyssil 1814 - 1901
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 February 24 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Pottsville is in the coal mining region of Pennsylvania - there were many welsh migrants and welsh speaking communities there in the 19th century. More relevant to Rees, there was also a small textile industry

Offline nzwelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 February 24 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I found a really interesting article about Welsh emigration to and settlement Oneida County, New York, which mentions the Pottsville link (hopefully it's ok to post the link):

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~nyunywh/upstatenywelsh/OneidaWelsh.pdf

Offline nzwelsh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 February 24 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, I really hate to go back to the beginning as I thought I had everything clear, but a small niggle is that in research completed in 1997 (which is a well-researched book, but wouldn't have had access to the information that is now online), John Rees Davies (born 1810) is identified as John Rees Davies' father (hence my original confusion!). As far as I know, no one has found anything different, but I also don't think anyone has delved into it themselves. (Also Rachel Davies' birth date is given as 1812).

But everything with "Rees Davies" seems to match up (especially with what is in the inquest article, with son John being in New Zealand), so it must be the same person?

Interested to hear any thoughts on this  :)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 February 24 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I think so, given the 1851 census linked to earlier, where Rees is a weaver b Llangeler

I wouldn't get too worried about date inconsistencies - its not unusual in those days for people to be a bit vague about their age