Author Topic: Can someone kindly photograph my aunt's headstone at St Kentigern's ???  (Read 534 times)

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can someone kindly photograph my aunt's headstone at St Kentigern's ???
« on: Wednesday 21 February 24 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've been down some rabbit holes but have finally gotten hold of the Lair & Section numbers where my late aunt has been interned.
I wonder if some kind soul might do a couple of things for me or a couple of kind souls post the couple of things here?

I'd love a photo of the headstone not too close so I can identify nearby headstones which will enable me to find it when I'm able to come home?
Then I'd also be eternally grateful if some kind soul could open google maps showing the section of St Kentigern's where the grave is, take a screenshot and edit the picture, putting a coloured dot where the gravesite is located?

My aunts details are:

Agnes Morgan Burton (nee MacCauley)
St. Kentigern's cemetery
Lair # 803
Section 16

She was interned with her late husband James Burton

Kindest Regards,

Martin

***EDIT***

My aunt died in Oct 2017.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone kindly photograph my aunt's headstone at St Ken???
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 10:06 GMT (UK) »
What year did she die?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone kindly photograph my aunt's headstone at St Ken???
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 10:08 GMT (UK) »
What year did she die?

Hi CaroleW,

She died in October 2017.

Cheers,

Martin

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone kindly photograph my aunt's headstone at St Kentigern's ???
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Martin,

Another Rootschatter is photographing St. Kentigern's Cemetery and has already completed Section 16.  I have posted below a link to a previous thread, scroll down the page to the post by Chris5856.

Hopefully he can help you, he also mentions he has a Facebook page for the cemetery.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=512075.153

Good luck
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 February 24 12:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the heads up Jool! I really appreciate it. I looked at his profile and he hasn't been on here since September 2023. I messaged him on his FB page and received an automated reply but haven't yet heard back. I feel like I'm so very close to finally seeing my late aunts resting place.

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 March 24 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm still hopeful that somebody here may be able to help me by taking a photo of my Aunt & Uncle's headstone at St Kentigern's Cemetary?

They are in Section 16, Lair # 803 & the names are James & Agnes Burton. My aunt passed away in 2017.

I would be very appreciative to have this photo it would be priceless. My son is traveling to Glasgow from aust where I live, and I'd like him to visit the grave of his grand aunt & uncle.

I realise there is somebody here called Chris who has photographed & logged this section for his project but I have tried several times to engage him in conversation and it seems to be impossible due to his workload.

So I am returning to this forum asking for help.

Kind Regards,

Martin

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 07 March 24 12:25 GMT (UK) »
You haven't mentioned when James died.....have you checked if this is a possibility for him:

https://billiongraves.com/grave/JAMES-BURTON/23991624

(map with location marker is further down same page).
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 07 March 24 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi scotsmum,

Yes that is the grave, thanks a lot. I have been searching for my aunt Agnes Burton who was interned with my uncle James in 2017. I was hoping to see her name on the headstone just to put my mind at rest that I have actually found her.
You have helped me in finding out exactly where the headstone is though.
Kind Regards,
Martin

Offline GlasGuy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 March 24 06:28 GMT (UK) »
You haven't mentioned when James died.....have you checked if this is a possibility for him:

https://billiongraves.com/grave/JAMES-BURTON/23991624

(map with location marker is further down same page).

I must be in an altered state of reality somehow.

Yes the above is my uncle, the dates (d. 1977) check out and it's the correct cemetery.

I never knew him but I learnt that my dear aunt (who I did know), died & it took me some years to find the year of death/cemetery interned in, so I need to actually see her name on the head stone because I won't believe it till I see it, kind of thing.

Caroline Gilchrist for the GCC emailed me that my aunt Mrs Agnes Burton has been interned with her husband in Section 16, Lair # 803 after she died in 2017.

It's been such a journey just trying to find who to email and checking all the online resources without luck (I wasn't looking for James back then as I didn't yet know they had been interned together. I also didn't know where he was either).

I asked the nice chap who is doing the St Kentigern's project and he told me the grave doesn't exist in Section 16. He very kindly sent me his closest match from Sect. 16, but it isn't the correct grave.

It all feels a bit surreal. Our son is visiting Glasgow for his 1st time but has only a limited amount of time and I was hoping for him to see the graves of his ancestors. I have already given him precise directions to the other graves and was hoping to do the same for my aunt's grave.

I think that some things just get too complicated & I may have to travel myself sometime to Scotland and visit St Kentigern's to find out if she's there or not.

Everyone has been fabulous though, thanks for all the help. .

Cheers,

Martin