Author Topic: Grave marker and fallen stone  (Read 708 times)

Offline Silverhoop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Grave marker and fallen stone
« on: Wednesday 21 February 24 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

Looking for a wee bit of advice please.

I found my Great Grandfather and mothers grave but there is no stone or marker with it. I was told they possibly only had a cross at the time.

Do you have any recommendations on a marker I can use for the grave and if it is a granite type stone, how do I install it - Do I just sit it down or do I need to dig and attach it to something?

Secondly, after the recent storm I noticed my maternal grandparents stone has toppled slightly and is leaning on the stone behind it. I had a quick look and it has broken away from the concrete below - The stone itself is still intact.

Do you know how I fix this, do I need to get professional help or is this something the ground staff can help with>

Both graves are in St Peters Cemetery, Dalbeth, Glasgow

Thanks everyone

Gerry

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Grave marker and fallen stone
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 13:42 GMT (UK) »
I would say you would need professional help with your Grandparents stone you could check with the ground staff they might be able to recommend someone .For your Great Grandfathers have you tried amazon ? we have bought a few memorial markers which were quite reasonable priced and dates and names have been added .You could also get a small stone either a book or heart which comes with a stand and would just sit on the grave

Rosie

Offline Silverhoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie,

I was thinking of something similar to the photo attached. Just wasn't sure if it needed to be fixed to something or whether I just plonked it down on the grass. I want it to last for a while :)

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 17:39 GMT (UK) »
We have a few similar to that and we have them on the grass in front of the grave stone .

Rosie

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 20:35 GMT (UK) »
Most cemeteries nowadays require all work to be done by one of their approved monumental masons, so you should contact the office to discuss whatever you have in mind. Even the wording of the inscription usually has to be approved.

Before you begin, you need to know who owns the plot (or the lease to burial rights in it), and there may be fees to pay to transfer it to you if necessary. There will originally have been a property deed, which should have been passed on through the normal inheritance process, though often they are lost over time. Again, the office may be able to tell you where to start.

Caveat: Procedures vary, and I know nothing of Scottish law. Some cemeteries, however, take a pragmatic approach and are quite happy for just about anyone to take responsibility for repairing a grave monument as long as it's done properly.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 February 24 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Most cemeteries nowadays require all work to be done by one of their approved monumental masons, so you should contact the office to discuss whatever you have in mind. Even the wording of the inscription usually has to be approved.

Different here in Scotland we can choose our own monumental masons and put whatever inscription we want on a gravestone without approval

Rosie