Author Topic: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ymchwilio Hanes Teulu Cymru
    • View Profile
Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans
« on: Wednesday 21 February 24 17:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a woman called Mary Ann Evans, which lived at Llaethdy, Pontyberem in 1901.  I am unable to find the 1901 Census for Llaethdy, but found out that a Mr J Rees lived there in Sept. 1901.

Anyone can find the 1891 or 1901 Census for Llaethdy, Pontyberem & also a Mary Ann Evans born 11 Dec 1887 at Gwendraeth Row.  Her mother's name was Jane Evans & there is no mention of a father.

There is another Mary Ann Evans with parents Thomas & Jane Evans living at Ty Poeth, Llannon - this is a different Mary Ann Evans.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 February 24 22:07 GMT (UK) »
I can see from newspapers there was a J, W and Ll Rees recorded with the address Llaethdy, Pontyberem (nearly all competing at the local produce show)

This is the family in Llaethdy in 1911 - address is transcribed as Llacthdy. it's not a huge help as he and his parents are in the Maesteg area in 1901

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7NY-1N9

By dint of searching on 1901 for a family who are a couple of doors down in 1911, I have now tracked down Llaethdy Farm & Llaethdy Cottage on 1901

This is John Rees at the farm: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9B3-4L3
This is next door at Llaethdy Cottage: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9B3-4LJ
Note the 13 year old daughter at the farm - transcribed as Mary Jane Rees by Ancestry

The Reeses aren't at Llaethdy in 1891, but I have tracked them down: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:4PNT-G6Z

I think this is her

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 March 24 08:46 GMT (UK) »
Great work Mabel. I note the Mary Evans (age 3) with the Rees family in 1891 is listed as an adopted child and in 1901 her name “mutates” to Mary Evans Rees. So I am guessing this is a different Mary Evans and not Mary Ann Evans with mother Jane.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 March 24 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Ages of the Rees’s in the census records are not always consistent (!) but I think this is them below:

In 1881 the Rees family are at Plascoedca, Llannon. John (39), Mary (45), Louisa (18), Ann (10), Thomas (7), William (5), Stephen (1.5) and Nephew John Lewis (2). All born Llannon.

In 1901 Daughter Louisa, as widow Louisa Griffiths (35), is living next door to her parents at Llaethdy Cottage, with children Thomas (15), Ivor (4) and Alice (2). With Louisa’s parents at Llaethdy is grandson Isaac Griffiths age 10 (Louisa’s son).

In 1891 Louisa (25) is at Plasbach with her husband William Griffiths (25) Llanelly and their children Thomas J (3) and Isaac (1 month, who is with his grandparents in 1901), both born Llannon

This must be Isaac’s birth entry confirming her as Louisa Rees.

GRIFFITHS, ISAAC       REES 
GRO Reference: 1891  J Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 1047

I think later census entries for Louisa’s birth is correct (born around 1866) and this is her birth entry

REES, LOUISA       EVANS 
GRO Reference: 1867  J Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 680

So mmn Evans

However, for John and Mary Rees’s son Stephen I think this is his birth entry

REES, STEPHEN       LEWIS 
GRO Reference: 1879  J Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 781

So mmn Rees.

In 1881 there is a large gap in ages between children of John and Mary Rees (Louisa (18) then Ann (10)).

My guess (I could well be wrong!) is that John Rees actually married 2 different Mary’s first a Mary Evans and then a Mary Lewi. Perhaps others can agree/disagree?

If John did marry twice and his first wife was a Mary Evans then maybe Mary Ann Evans who was adopted by John Rees was a descendant of his wife?

As an aside I think Dau Louisa later marries a George Rogers of Bath/Somerset who was lodging with John Rees and family at Llaerhdy in 1901

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 March 24 18:06 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking for candidates for Mary Ann Evans mother, Jane, in earlier censuses. Mary Ann was born 1887 Gwendraeth Row. This is a Jane Evans age 1 month living at Gwendraeth row in 1861 and a couple of candidates for her birth entry in the GRO

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 March 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
This is Jane again in 1871 at Gwendraeth Row

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 March 24 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I can’t obviously find this Jane Evans in 1881 but perhaps others can?

Also Jane’s relationship in 1861 and 1871 to others in the census is confusing but perhaps others can unravel?

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 March 24 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Great work Mabel. I note the Mary Evans (age 3) with the Rees family in 1891 is listed as an adopted child and in 1901 her name “mutates” to Mary Evans Rees. So I am guessing this is a different Mary Evans and not Mary Ann Evans with mother Jane.

I'm not sure why you'd think this is a different Mary Evans. Right name, right age and right address in 1901? She's not necessarily going to be with her mother in 1891.

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 March 24 21:22 GMT (UK) »
I think you may have the wrong birth reg for Louisa

I've found John and Mary Rees in Llanguicke in 1871 - Louisa transcribed by Ancestry as Lewis A. She's listed as age 6, and in other censuses is 18, 25 and 35 so an 1867 birth looks a little late

I think she may have been Mary's child from before the marriage,

LEWIS, LOUISA        
No mmn
Q1 1865  LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 640