Author Topic: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans  (Read 1351 times)

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ymchwilio Hanes Teulu Cymru
    • View Profile
Re: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 17 March 24 18:58 GMT (UK) »
I think it says 'Homing'

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 17 March 24 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hywel

Do you have the details from the marriage of Mary Ann Evans to Gwilym John Evans in 1907. I would be interesting to know what her address at marriage is and whether any details are entered for her father.

Regards

Roy

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 March 24 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Any suggestions for what the crossed out word is in the attached?

I wondered if it was "nursing" - a slightly odd way of saying nurse child, i.e. a child being boarded out/fostered, often of an unmarried mother away working elsewhere

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 March 24 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Any suggestions for what the crossed out word is in the attached?

I wondered if it was "nursing" - a slightly odd way of saying nurse child, i.e. a child being boarded out/fostered, often of an unmarried mother away working elsewhere

I agree, that looks to be correct and would make sense. Thanks

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 18 March 24 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Possible marriage for John Thomas and Mary Evans?

Q1 1860   Carmarthen    Vol 11a p749   
Evans    David          
Evans    Mary        
Lewis    Elizabeth        
Thomas    John   

The marriage is actually in 1861, in Ancestry parish records on 05 Mar 1861, Llannon. John Thomas, full age, widower, labourer of Row, Llannon to Mary Evans, full age, widow of Row, Llannon. Fathers John Thomas and John Evans respectively bot deceased, no profession given

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 18 March 24 07:41 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if the proposed first Marriage of Mary Evans to George Evans is correct? There is a marriage in 17 Feb 1846 in Llanddarog of George Evans, full age, bachelor, collier of Mount Pleasant to Mary Evans, full age, Spinster of Llwynfiod(?). Fathers Thomas Evans, Schoolmaster and John Evans Shoemaker respectively. Mary Evans father as a Shoemaker rather than a labourer//Farmee is unexpected. The 1851 census entry for this pairing also has Mary’s birthplace as Llanarthney while it is Llanddarog in all other censuses. I would welcome thoughts on this

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:25 GMT (UK) »

Evans    David          
Evans    Mary        
Lewis    Elizabeth        
Thomas    John   

The marriage is actually in 1861, in Ancestry parish records on 05 Mar 1861, Llannon. John Thomas, full age, widower, labourer of Row, Llannon to Mary Evans, full age, widow of Row, Llannon. Fathers John Thomas and John Evans respectively bot deceased, no profession given

That looks right - not sure why I didn't spot it when I was searching before

I am not sure if the proposed first Marriage of Mary Evans to George Evans is correct? There is a marriage in 17 Feb 1846 in Llanddarog of George Evans, full age, bachelor, collier of Mount Pleasant to Mary Evans, full age, Spinster of Llwynfiod(?). Fathers Thomas Evans, Schoolmaster and John Evans Shoemaker respectively. Mary Evans father as a Shoemaker rather than a labourer//Farmee is unexpected. The 1851 census entry for this pairing also has Mary’s birthplace as Llanarthney while it is Llanddarog in all other censuses. I would welcome thoughts on this

That is interesting. I was working backwards from Joseph Evans, Mary's son on 1861, b c1847 in Llannon. The only one I could find was with the George and Mary pairing (and her having a son called George b 1853 made this potential father look appealing).

Following George jnr forward, he marries in 1872. His address Gwendraeth Row. States his father is George

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 18 March 24 08:54 GMT (UK) »

Evans    David          
Evans    Mary        
Lewis    Elizabeth        
Thomas    John   

That looks right - not sure why I didn't spot it when I was searching before

That is interesting. I was working backwards from Joseph Evans, Mary's son on 1861, b c1847 in Llannon. The only one I could find was with the George and Mary pairing (and her having a son called George b 1853 made this potential father look appealing).

Following George jnr forward, he marries in 1872. His address Gwendraeth Row. States his father is George

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t think the marriage can be discounted entirely. I can’t find a GRO entry for son Joseph but this does seem to be the entry for son George

EVANS, GEORGE       mmn EVANS 
GRO Reference: 1853  M Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 453

There is another possible marriage of a George Evans to a Mary Evans in “Carmarthen” in 1848. Jun Qtr, Carmarthen 26 841, but because there are multiple entries with the same reference number this George could equally have married an Anne Daniel, Maria Howells or an Elizabeth Philipps.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 18 March 24 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Finding Mary (1820), sister Jane (1823) and potential brother Thomas (1829) in 1841 with a father John could help resolve things but I have not found anything obvious but maybe others can? Finding who was at Llwynfiod(?) in 1841 might also help, but not an easy task.

The nearest I have come up with is attached. In Llanddarog in 1841, Father is John a shoemaker and has daughters Mary and Jane (though their ages are off) and no mention of a son Thomas