Author Topic: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Ymchwilio Hanes Teulu Cymru
    • View Profile
Re: Llaethdy Pontyberem/Mary Ann Evans
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Roy

That's great work you done there.  I found the Goal record under Court, land, wills & financial on Ancestry.  I only looked  as I could see US records available.  If I did a generic search for him and then go into the options, nothing showed up.

James Williams shows as born 18 Aug 1870 at Cefncaiau, Llanelly.  Cefncaiau is behind Llwynhendy and inbetween Llwynhendy and Bryn, Carms.  His father is Joseph Williams and his mother is Ann Williams formely Thomas.

Berwick is an area near Llwynhendy and Bynea and it's the land near the sea,

Hywel

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 19:42 GMT (UK) »
In 1857 Joseph Williams lived at Farm Fach, Hengoed, Llanelly as Nephew to William Davies & Hannah.  His father is not shown on the Wedding Certificate.

I believe this is the correct Wedding Certificate as it's the only one that matches.  The only other marriage between a Joseph William & Anne Thomas was in Llandilofawr.  It looks like the 1st child is born illegitimaty.

In 1881 it does look like Joseph has remarried to a Margaret and living at Pemberton, Llanelly.

Hywel

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 19:48 GMT (UK) »
In 1879 there is a Marriage Bann between a Joseph Williams & Margaret Daniel at Dafen, Carmarthenshire.

In Q4 1880 there is a GRO reference to a Marriage between Joseph Williams & Margaret Daniel at Llanelly, Carms.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 26 March 24 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff. We’re on a roll!

This is possibly James married to a Margaret Ann Thomas in 1911. It states they were born Llwynhendy and were living at Myrtle Cottage, Llwynhendy.

WILLIAMS James and THOMAS Margaret Ann Mar Qtr 1892, Llanelly 11a 1152.

Married around the same time as their first born

WILLIAMS, JOHN  JAMES     mmn THOMAS 
GRO Reference: 1892  M Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 1002

The only negative is that in in 1911 states this James born 1871 and 1901 born 1872, so not born 1870. I suppose only getting a copy of the marriage cert would confirm for definite, it’s not in Parish records

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Great stuff. We’re on a roll!

This is possibly James married to a Margaret Ann Thomas in 1911. It states they were born Llwynhendy and were living at Myrtle Cottage, Llwynhendy.

WILLIAMS James and THOMAS Margaret Ann Mar Qtr 1892, Llanelly 11a 1152.

Married around the same time as their first born

WILLIAMS, JOHN  JAMES     mmn THOMAS 
GRO Reference: 1892  M Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 1002

The only negative is that in in 1911 states this James born 1871 and 1901 born 1872, so not born 1870. I suppose only getting a copy of the marriage cert would confirm for definite, it’s not in Parish records

This must be James. I have found him in the 1939 register DOB 19 Aug 1870 (1 day out). In 1939 his address is 9 Trallwm Road, in 1901 he and his wife and children are living at Trallwm Cottage. With him in 1939 are children Sarah Catherine and Llewellyn who are also with him in 1911.

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 07:45 GMT (UK) »
Although they have been inactive for over a year, it may be worth you trying to contact Ancestry Member alcoa1277 . They have exact DOB for all of James children and looks to be descended from his Daughter Mary Hannah Williams 1897

From what I can work out from her tree Mary Hannah had a son Elwyn Williams in 1913

WILLIAMS, ELWYN       mmn - 
GRO Reference: 1913  D Quarter in LLANELLY  Volume 11A  Page 2459

He is with James in 1939, DOB 12 Sep 1913. The tree states Elwyn married an Eluned John 26 Dec 1909 of Swansea who are alcoa277’s parents

Offline roycymru

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 09:20 GMT (UK) »
In 1857 Joseph Williams lived at Farm Fach, Hengoed, Llanelly as Nephew to William Davies & Hannah.  His father is not shown on the Wedding Certificate.

I believe this is the correct Wedding Certificate as it's the only one that matches.  The only other marriage between a Joseph William & Anne Thomas was in Llandilofawr.  It looks like the 1st child is born illegitimaty.

In 1881 it does look like Joseph has remarried to a Margaret and living at Pemberton, Llanelly.

Hywel

I agree that this is the only marriage that seems to fit. However, as you say this was 2 years after the birth of their first child and Joseph’s profession is “Navigator”, whereas in census records he is a Lead Worker. Perhaps there was such a thing as a Navigator who worked in a Lead Works, I don’t know, perhaps others do? As you say this only leaves the Llandilofawr marriage but as Joseph was from Pembrey and Ann from Llanelly a Llandilofawr marriage does not make sense

Offline Talacharn

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 27 March 24 12:31 GMT (UK) »
Online search:
Navigator: a Labourer on civil engineering projects, such as railroads, roads and canals. Often an immigrant.
Navvy: an abbreviation of Navigator; a labourer on civil engineering projects, such as railroads, roads and canals.

Offline Dafydd Hywel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 10 April 24 21:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your support on this one.  I have 1 confirmed DNA match via Mary Ann Evans's Mother Jane and there are a few unconfirmed on her father's too.