Author Topic: John Akiens 1795-1845 Belgrave  (Read 816 times)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: John Akiens 1795-1845 Belgrave
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 24 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Strange as in 1841 Mary Ann seems to be with her Mother (under mn) and William with his Parents
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 24 14:54 GMT (UK) »
A number of trees has John dying on 3rd July 1845 in Belgrave, and Susannah on 13th July 1855 in Belgrave, but no evidence.

The following were all children of John Akiens, a woolcomber, although none mention that he was deceased:-

Marriage of John Akins and Sarah Clements, on 22nd December 1839, William Knight and Mary Ann Akins were witnesses.

Marriage of Samuel Akiens married Ann Perry, on 26th July 1847, John and Susannah Akiens were witnesses.

Marriage of Elizabeth Susannah Akins and James Costello, on 30th August 1848, Samuel Akins and Mary Ann Knight were the witnesses.

Marriage of William Green Akiens and Susannah Puryer, on 28th March 1859, William and Mary Knight were the witnesses.

David

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 24 18:46 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Trish and David for the information.
From all you've shared with me I l think Susannah Green is more likely to be the right person and also think that the John born 1879 and died 1931 is my John.

William Knight and Mary Ann Akiens were my Great Great Grandparents and as William was a witness of 2 of his wife's siblings marriages I think that either he was a friend of both brothers or that the two families shared a friendship or some other connection.

It's difficult to see why both William and Mary Ann should be living separately with their respective families  in 1841 unless they married without consent as they would both have been aged between 16 and 19 when they married in 1840.

Hopefully I will be able to take this line further back now that I have the details of John and Susannag sorted.

Thank you again for the help. I hope this is not too full of mistakes, I unfortunately dropped my phone this morning and shattered the screen so it's a bit difficult to read what I'm writing at present.

June
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 24 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I was having a look at the surname as Ak* on a non-conformist disc I have and came across parents as father Akins William and mother Louise/Lois Green MN Bull, children Henry, William and Mary Jane, bapt. at Holy Cross R.C.

had a look at marriages and

William Green Akins bachelor age 23, married Lois Bull spinster 13 Mar 1842 at All Saints, Leicester. William is a chimney sweep, father John Green Akins woolcomber

William made his mark and witnesses were David and Ann Bull
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 February 24 11:33 GMT (UK) »
It bit more on Susannah Green.

Susannah Green, daughter of william, sawyer, and Ann, nee Walden, born 16th January 1794 and baptised on 21st January in Market Harborough.

It gives their abode as Stoke Albone, presumably Stoke Albany, Northamptonshire.

When William Green married Ann Walden, it gave both of the Parish.

Possible burial of William, born 1769, on 23rd October 1819.

Ann Green, wife of William, a sawyer, died on 6th December 1800 and buried on 8th December, age 34, in Mkt. Harborough.

David

P.S.

Something I forgot to mention is that the burial for John Akiens, on 31st December 1834, gave his abode as Belgrave Gate, where his family was living in 1841.

The last baptism, for Benjamin in 1831, also gave the address as in 1841: Goddard's Place, Belgrave Gate.

At least one tree seems to agree.

Offline Tuggybear

• RootsChat Member
  • The future is all about the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 February 24 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Willsy and David.
Interesting that Susannah's parents were Catholic. I wonder if that's why I can't find baptisms for Mary Ann Akiens and a couple of the other children  of Susannah and John. The ones I've found appear to be c of e. Christenings.

I did wonder if William Green Akiens was my next step in the journey back so that information is very helpful.

The additional information on Susannah is great and it certainly looks like the John Akiens  I'm looking for is indeed this one, which again is very helpful.
Thank you all so much for the help, I feel we've made some good progress on a family brick wall.
Knight, Bates, Newton, Pick,Perkins, Marshall, North, Kilby, Beckett, Prince.

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 February 24 20:05 GMT (UK) »
These are the baptisms I found (I mentioned more than this before but I can't find them all now so maybe I miscounted!)   (Edited to add Henry's and Susanna's baptisms which I'd missed out, and addresses)

Sarah AIKIN   JOHN & SUSANNAH   1815   9-Mar   ALL SAINTS   Workhouse
William AKINS   JOHN & SUSANNA   1816   22-Oct   ST MARGARET'S   Church Gate
John AKINS   JOHN & SUSANNA   1819   3-Feb   ST MARGARET'S   Needle Gate
Henry AKINS     John and Susanna      1821         27 April    St Margaret   Address unclear, maybe Short St?
Samuel AIKINS   JOHN & SUSANNA   1826   6-Dec   ST NICHOLAS   Fryars
Frances AIKINS   JOHN & SUSANNA   1826   6-Dec   ST NICHOLAS   Fryars
Susanna ATKINS  John and Susanna    1829        27 May      St Margaret        Goddard's Place
Benjamin AKIENS  JOHN & SUSANNAH   1831   12-Aug   ST MARGARET'S   Goddard's Place, Belgrave Gate
Elizabeth Susannah AIKINS   JOHN & SUSANNAH   1833   18-Apr   ST MARGARET'S   Belgrave Gate

Some of these children have been mistranscribed on FindMyPast as ATKINS but are clearly not that when you look at the image.

Could this be Mary Ann? There are no other Agar baptisms with parents of this name and the date would fit inbetween the baptisms above. John's occ is given as woolcomber, as with some of the other children above.

Mary Ann AGAR   JOHN & SUSANNA   1823   13-Apr   ALL SAINTS   Causeway Lane
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 February 24 09:53 GMT (UK) »
One baptism that may not have been mentioned, is Frances, the twin of Samuel.

Baptised on the same day, and described as a twin. She was buried on 27th April 1828 at St. Margaret's, transcribed as Akrens.

Daughter of John and Susannah of Goddard's Place.

David

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 26 February 24 10:44 GMT (UK) »
Frances's baptism is in the list in the previous post!
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)