Author Topic: William Irving  (Read 707 times)

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Irving
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 February 24 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. There are certainly some things which have answered some of my queries.

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 February 24 20:43 GMT (UK) »
Where did you get the information that he was aged 41?  It seems strange to me to mention an apprenticeship for a man of that age but no mention of anything more recent, such as where he worked before enlisting.

Added in 1911  the family were living at 26 North Street as mentioned in the 1917  press cutting posted above

What was William DALRYMPLE's occupation in 1911?

Debra  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 February 24 20:56 GMT (UK) »
There are three deaths of William Irvings in 1916 in the service returns on Scotland's People. Aged 22, 25 and 26. None aged 41 in 1916 or at any time between 1914 and 1918.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline matt muir

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 February 24 22:06 GMT (UK) »
The Scottish Military Research Group has the following information,

The D&G Standard 19/5/1917 p.5 reported that his mother Mrs. Johnstone had been told of William's death and that her other son George of the Australians had been wounded. I have identified the family from George's service record at the National Archives of Australia.

William Irving � age 26 � Lance Corporal (S/3619) 1st Battalion, Gordon Highlanders.
William served his apprenticeship as a grocer in Annan and joined his battalion in France in April 1915. He was promoted to Lance Corporal in January 1916.
Born 1890 in North Street, Annan as William Beattie Dalrymple. Son of William Beattie and of Mary Ann Dalrymple of Ecclefechan, Dumfriesshire.

It goes on to say that he is named as William Dalrymple on each of the 1891-1901-1911 census records.
This link should take you to the site.... http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic112-0-asc-75.html
Matt
Muir,McDill/Dill,Payne,Hepburn,Ireland,Rae all in Kirkcudbrightshire.
Cotter,Liddane,Gibson all in Co Clare,Ireland.

My avatar is my G/Father--Name not known !

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 February 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
William’s personal effects were returned to his mother Mary Johnston

His brother George Irving born abt 1883 (according to WW1 attestation papers in March 1915, Sydney)
Next of Kin:- His Step-father Mr W Johnston is crossed out (at some point after attestation) and written in is mother Mrs Mary Johnston of 26 North St Annan.

George’s Marriage certificate is included in his service record
George Birrell IRVING married 24.10.1918 Paisley to Jane Gray REID
His father is named as Thomas Irving (Stone Quarrier, deceased)
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 February 24 05:49 GMT (UK) »
It all fits - William Dalrymple was listed as a Grocers Assistant in 1911 while living with the Johnston family at 26 North St, Annan

Offline Nodrogw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 February 24 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the trouble you have taken. This has proved most interesting. I can't understand why his surname is Irving as he was born Dalrymple, and was born after Mary married Mr Johnstone. Of course Mary's mother's maiden name was Dalrymple and maybe Mary Ann was a niece. I hadn't been able to find out anything about her, but maybe she died in childbirth and Mary Johnstone brought him up as her own. Thank you again for your help

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 February 24 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Could this the mother of William in 1891? :-\

Mary A Dalrymple    40    Serv (Servant) b Annan servant in the Kennedy household living at Meinbank, Hoddam, Dumfrieshire

Added William was born at North Street Annan (maybe in the home of Mary Irving??)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 February 24 09:01 GMT (UK) »
I should have added that when Mary Irving married William Johnston in 1895 in Annan she lists her parents as John Scott and Elizabeth Scott nee Beattie with witnesses Matthew Dalrymple and Mary Ann Dalrymple