Author Topic: researching an engineer on steam ships  (Read 322 times)

Online fiddlerslass

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
researching an engineer on steam ships
« on: Thursday 22 February 24 17:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I've not had to do any maritime research before but am just
 starting to research the career of engineer William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland Durham, who moved to London around 1848.

I found an entry for him in 1855 in the British merchant seaman records on FindMyPast, no ticket number unfortunately,  but he was an engineer on the SS Amity registered at London. Birthplace is given as "Oakland"
Would I be right in thinking the numbers in the columns are the dates of the voyages?

Also, from the CLIP site,  is the ship  Amity likely to be the one with  number 4620 registered at London 13 th Jan 1855?

https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsalpha?shipsearch=amity&SearchType=Exact&submit=search

How do I find more?

1861 William was in Spain as he had a son born there in July.
1871 William with family in Stepney
1881 not at home
1884 wife Hannah dies, her death certificate says wife not widow. Abode Arbour Square, Mile End reg district.

Struggling to find a death for him.Checked deaths abroad on FindMyPast but none particularly stand out.

Not found 1891 possibly dead, as 2 youngest children Thomas 21, & Beatrice 17 are living with an older married sister.

Marked as deceased on son Thomas Richardson marriage to Kate A Scobell 17 Sept 1892.
2 Dec 1886 daughter Hannah Richardson marries Richard Rose, his father marked as deceased, but not hers.
So I think the window is between Dec 1886 to  Sept 1892, but possibly before the 1891 census.

I have eliminated the deaths of William Richardson registered 1889 Dec ST SAVIOUR LONDON. 01D    94              
   And
1890    Dec    CAMBERWELL    01D    521.

The family mostly lived in east London or Bermondsey but later some moved to East Ham.

Several of his sons and grandsons followed in his nautical footsteps right into the 20th century.

Thanks
Bulman, DUR
Butterfield DUR & N. YKS,
Earnshaw DUR
Hopps DUR & N. YKS
Howe, Richardson,Thompson all DUR

William Thompson violin maker Bishop Auckland
William Thompson jun. Violin maker Leeds

Richardson in Bermondsey/East Ham, descendants of William Richardson b. 1820 Bishop Auckland

Berger, Fritsch, Ritschel, Pechanz, Funke, Endesfelder & others from Czechia