Author Topic: LILA G MAHER (nee Starr?)  (Read 1020 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: LILA G MAHER (nee Starr?)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 February 24 03:55 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Lila and Mathew James Maher was at St Michael's C of E, Flinders St, Surry Hills, 12 September 1945.

Mathew James Maher,
moulder's assistant, 120 Carlton Cres, Summer Hill, bachelor, b Warialda, age 24, parents: Abraham Maher (dec), timber worker
Lila Grace Dodd,
dressmaker, 30 Chisholm st, Darlinghurst, divorced petitioner, b Cootamundra, age 28, parents: William Starr, railway worker, Lila McCoole
Witnesses: E Henderson, Aubrey Johnson

Just as an aside I find it interesting that the marriage was allowed in a church as she was listed as a 'divorce petitioner' as, even up to the 1970s, divorcees were not allowed to be married in C of E.
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 February 24 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Lila Grace’s mother  Lila Beatrice .

Difficult  to find  the  birth of Lila Beatrice as her mother Elizabeth Matilda,had a trail of marriages. But I think it is this-

BURGESS EULALA  B.
14422/1892
F. HARRY
M. ELIZABETH M
GOULBURN

I don’t see a marriage fitting here.

Have we been through the many marriagesof Elizabeth SHARP on another thread?

John Izzard, Charles MCole  John Wright, Charles Newling ?

When Lila Beatrice  gets to her marriage to William Joseph STARR, she states her father is Charles McCOOLE, but I think that is not the case.

The sad rape case story. Lila Beatrice  McCOLE 1906.
 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/234163353
shows Elizabeth Matilda by 1906 was married to Charles NEWLING.
She seems to say she had adopted Lila Beatrice in the news item, but I doubt that.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 February 24 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
    Many thanks for the birth you found.  Seems to fit it with everything so far.

Yes the MANY marriages and trove reports for Elizabeth Sharp, Izzard, McCole, Wright, Newling.  Wow what a story.

I thought from reading the whole story re 1906 that Newling had adopted Lila?? I have just read through a few reports and there was one from 1909 too when she ran away.

It actually say's that Lila/Eulila was illegitimate from the mothers statement.  Why would you offer that information.

So if the birth you found is correct!  Elizabeth Matilda SHARP must have moved on from Mr BURGESS to Mr IZZARD very quickly.

Thanks for your time everyone.  Appreciate it so much.  May come back to this later it is SO HOT here at the moment!!  Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 25 February 24 03:54 GMT (UK) »
In closing off my notes on this.
Sadly no birth record found for Lila Grace.

However, you mght be interested in this. We must allow for the alternative spellings HAYNES/HAINES

The story of Lila Beatrice "running away" in 1909
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/247937669

This case was heard round 10th March 1909.
The accused man (enticing her off for carnal reasons!) was named Edward Henry DELANEY

According to the reports-
Lila had been lodged in the care of her godfather, James HAINES and Mrs HAINES at Young.

Mrs HAINES was nee DELANEY.

Birth of her son
HAYNES EDWARD H
33864/1888
F. EDWARD
M. KEZIA
ORANGE

Parent's marriage
4051/1888
HAYNES Edward
DELANEY Kerzia
DUBBO

The marriage between Lila Beatrice and Edward Henry HAYNES took place in April 1909.

She had actually run away with the man she married within weeks of the event. ;D

Sue

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 25 February 24 05:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
    Many thanks for this.  I will read the trove clip with interest! Sure you are correct in allowing alternative spelling for names!!

I started digging into Mr Edward Henry Haynes today but didn't get very far.  LOL

I will read the clip now and get back to you.  Thanks very much.  Dianna

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 25 February 24 05:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue what a story this is!

I found another snippet thanks to the information you gave me and it looks like he is refered to as "Curley" as well.  Now that made me go back to he alleged rape case 1906 when the accused guy said something like "CURLEY HAD HER LAST NIGHT" That made my blood run cold honestly.

So this guy either FRAZER, DELANEY OR HAYNES!! Did you read "Haynes" for this James as her Godfather??  I thought it said HUMES in the newspaper report and I didn't join the dot's.

I will have to buy that marriage certificate for Lila B and this Haynes character!  This is why I love family history research amazing.

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233874142  Thanks Dianna

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 25 February 24 05:42 GMT (UK) »

So this guy either FRAZER, DELANEY OR HAYNES!! Did you read "Haynes" for this James as her Godfather??  I thought it said HUMES in the newspaper report and I didn't join the dot's.

trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233874142  Thanks Dianna

The print is bad in the newspaper, but to my eyes it is HAINES with the middle letters blurred a bit.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/247937669

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 25 February 24 06:39 GMT (UK) »
There's another account of the court proceedings from the The Young Chronicle,  Sat 6 Mar 1909
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/233867374
which is almost identical to the one Sue found but definitely shows the surname of the godfather as Humes - could still be a misprint!

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 25 February 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I had missed that Judith.
Yes, it is HUMES.

Nontheless I think my theory that Edward Henry DELANEY is the son of Edward HAINES and wife Kezia (nee DELANEY) stands up ok.

Sue