Author Topic: J. Harry Ibbotson, 1905 essay re Henty books (Ontario)  (Read 347 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
J. Harry Ibbotson, 1905 essay re Henty books (Ontario)
« on: Friday 23 February 24 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Toronto: I am in search of an article that supposedly appeared in “The (Toronto?) Star” in 1905. According to a 1950 newspaper article, in 1905, J. Harry Ibbotson’s school essay about Henty books was included in a full page write up submitted by students at McCaul School, University Avenue.  I do not know the exact date of the article but supposedly the students’ write ups were in a Saturday newspaper.    Thank you, Lisa
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: J. Harry Ibbotson, 1905 essay re Henty books (Ontario)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 24 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Here it is...the School Children's Star was published as part of the Saturday Toronto Star paper ...written, illustrated and edited by school children

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 24 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, RunKitty.  I tried various search terms and couldn’t find any results.

Mr. Ibbotson passed away before my birth so I never had the chance to know him.  The essay fits with what I was told about him; he was an intelligent, knowledgeable man.  Apparently, he passed on to family his passion for learning.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Wondered if you'd seen (column 1) - the age fits the 14yr old author of the 1905 article.
https://news.ourontario.ca/oshawa/3814527/page/5057876?q=j+harry+ibbotson

Could this be the move to Toronto mentioned in the above article?
https://vitacollections.ca/claringtonnews/2828794/page/2111865?q=harry+ibbotson

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, hanes teulu.  Yes, that is the same man.  I just found the “clock article” last year (or the year before, can’t remember). The clock was actually handed down to me without any explanation of its history so I was thrilled to find the article.

The Canadian Ibbotson branch of my family has been well researched.  Other family members have researched our English “roots”.  I wish my other branches were as easy to find.

Thank you again for searching. It’s always nice to see how others pitch in to help.  :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 24 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Newspapers are a great source. Thanks for the confirmation.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 24 22:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much, RunKitty.  I tried various search terms and couldn’t find any results.

Mr. Ibbotson passed away before my birth so I never had the chance to know him.  The essay fits with what I was told about him; he was an intelligent, knowledgeable man.  Apparently, he passed on to family his passion for learning.

Hi Lisa,

Glad I was able to find it.   I think I used the search terms Ibbotson and Henty (together) :)

RK

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 February 24 02:39 GMT (UK) »
hanes teulu, in my first post I should have mentioned that we have an extensive background for the Ibbotsons.  I won’t make that mistake again.  ;)  A few days ago, I found a newspaper obit for an English ancestor.  It stated that he was a Crimean veteran; I had no idea he was a veteran.  I agree, newspapers can be extremely helpful.

RK, I use Anc*try but didn’t even see a hint for the article. Searching the internet also didn’t produce any hints; I even tried McCaul 1905 Toronto, with various words that should have been included.  But, thankfully, you found it.