Author Topic: 34th Regiment at Gibralter  (Read 188 times)

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
34th Regiment at Gibralter
« on: Friday 23 February 24 16:13 GMT (UK) »
I'm researching Charles Thorold of Harmston Lincs born 1826 to Benjamin Hart Thorold. A local historian has advised he started his military career around 1842 as an 'ensign with the 34th Regiment at Gibralter' but I must admit I don't really know what that means.

I later pick him up in Derby as a lieutenant then captain in the Derbyshire Militia. He is living in Shardlow at that time. He marries a Spanish woman in 1852 then dies in 1855. I would be very interested to find out a little more about the Spanish chapter.

What does the 34th Regiment refer to?

The Spanish woman was Maria Antonia Paz. I know little about her origins other than she was the daughter of Nicholas Paz - a captain in the army (Spanish) in 1852 then later a colonel according to his daughters marriage certificates.

Any suggestions where to go next with this would be great. Thanks!

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 34th Regiment at Gibralter
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 24 16:40 GMT (UK) »
In case you haven't seen it, there is a very lengthy obit for him here. It also includes details of the inquest held. Death caused by congestion of the lungs.

The obit states he was formerly a lieutenant in the 34th Foot; then joined the First Regiment of the Derbyshire Militia upon its formation. In 1854 he was promoted to captain of the Grenadier Company.

Derbyshire Advertiser and Ashbourne, Uttoxeter and North Staffordshire Journal
27 July 1855 (page 5)

Here is a timeline for the 34th Foot: https://www.britishempire.co.uk/forces/armyunits/britishinfantry/34thfoot.htm

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:01 GMT (UK) »
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:15 GMT (UK) »
The bit about him being an Ensign in 34th Regiment around 1842 is incorrect as regards the date. He was commissioned as an Ensign in the 34th (by purchase) on 21 July 1846.

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/20624/page/2675

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:25 GMT (UK) »
I'm glad that Shaun has found one error with the start of his service, as the Gibraltar link also sounds wrong. The 34th were also know as the Cumberland Regiment, and at that time consisted of a single battalion. In the 1840s they were stationed in Canada (Montreal), followed in 1842 by England and Ireland when they were probably recruiting to bring the regiment up to strength after some years abroad.  In 1845 they were sent to the other end of the Mediterranean, to the Ionian Islands. It is of course possible that they stopped in Gibraltar for a few days, but they certainly weren't stationed there. By 1848 they were in the West Indies.

An ensign is the most junior officer rank in the Infantry, roughly equivalent to Second Lieutenant today. In a cavalry regiment the rank was known as cornet.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:30 GMT (UK) »
He retired from his commission in the army in September 1849. I think his subsequent appointments were to positions in the militia. In the 1851 census his occupation is "annuitant".

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/21020/page/2854

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Looking at "Stations of the British Army" and other newspaper reports it seems that 34th Regiment moved from Corfu to Gibraltar in April 1848. It's commanding officer Lt Col Henry Deeds died en route.

Offline overlandermatt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 February 24 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Andy and Shaun. I had taken a look at the 34th Regiment of Foot timeline and did not really see the Gibraltar connection. I was also wondering whether there might have been more of a connection with a Lincolnshire regiment. Where was the 34th normally based?

If he became an ensign in July 1846 then resigned in September 1849, where would he have gone? Gibraltar sounds like a good match for meeting his future wife.

I was led by a local historian familiar with the Thorold story to believe that he would have received the annuity from 1849 which would have provided funds to lease the house that he is found at in 1851.