Author Topic: claypits farm bulwark chepstow  (Read 144 times)

Offline Miss C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
claypits farm bulwark chepstow
« on: Friday 23 February 24 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm trying to find information about Claypits farm  - my cousins and great uncle had the farm from c1939-1963.  Their surname was Nicholas.  Ive looked in the electoral registers and the 1939 register and found as much as I can.  What I'm searching for is the location of the farm (I believe that the old Severn Bridge Social Club was on at least some of the site) and photos of the area from that time.  I can't seem to find an old map between 1940-1960 either.
I would be grateful for any help with this.  Thanks. Antonella

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: claypits farm bulwark chepstow
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 February 24 18:46 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't come to a conclusion but here goes...

As you will know, in the 1939 Register, Claypit Farm is preceded by Bulwark Road, Fairfield Road, St Tecla Road and followed by St Tecla Farm, Hendersons Library, Bulwark Stores, Alpha Road

Looking at this map from 1922, the thing that stands out is that there is a Fairfield Farm next to St Tecla Farm which doesn't seems to be there in the 1939 Register, but is in the place where Claypit Farm might be expected.

http://tinyurl.com/3ewpj2wu

Conversely, in the 1921 census Fairfield Farm precedes St Tecla Farm. (Unfortunately Fairfield Farm is the first entry in this particular census book so there are no preceding entries, but subsequent entries move away to Burnt Barn and New House Farm.)

The simplest explanation for this is that Fairfield Farm was renamed to Claypit Farm between 1921 and 1939.

On this map from 1949/1954 Fairfield Farm has been replaced by a group of structures that may be postwar prefabs. But you say that the farm was in your family until 1963, so that doesn't fit with my theory.

http://tinyurl.com/2jvcc8kb

On the 1971 map the whole area is built up, but there are modern streets named Fairfield and St Tecla Roads just off Bulwark Road (all still there obviously). According to newspaper ads the address of the Severn Bridge Social Club was Bulwark Road.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 February 24 07:31 GMT (UK) »
I've now looked at the 1846 tithe map; unfortunately I can't post an image (copyright restrictions).

At the site of Fairfield/St Tecla it is absolutely clear that the entire site is labelled as Claypit Farm. The term St Tecla does not appear, that area is called "Young Orchard".  The farm is occupied by John Dowle, and his holdings are extensive (370 acres), stretching from the southern boundary of Hardwick House (Lodge on later maps) to encompass Burnt House in the south; and from a north-south line about two fields west of the farm buildings right over to the river in the east.

Thus the original name of the farm was Claypit, and it became Fairfield later on. Perhaps the name Claypit remained in local useage throughout.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 February 24 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Welsh Newspapers
Correction - original URL not returning desired screen . So, pop "claypit farm" (inc "   " as part of key) in Search
https://newspapers.library.wales/
Alternative keys "clay pit farm", "claypits farm"

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 February 24 10:39 GMT (UK) »
AB has pinpointed location. The 1861 Census provides useful reference points ie. Hardwick Lodge, Claypit Farm, Burnt Barn Cottage

Usk Observer, 6 Sep 1856
"... on going around Warrens-lad(e) wood, near Claypits farm ..." - Warrenslade can be seen here with Burnt Barn, Hardwick Lodge, Bulwark

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102346106#zoom=6&lat=8592&lon=3485&layers=BT

Offline Miss C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 February 24 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your replies and help with the location and other information regarding the farm  :)