Author Topic: Morris Family 1700s help  (Read 189 times)

Offline jmorris115

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Morris Family 1700s help
« on: Friday 23 February 24 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am researching my paternal family history and seem to be stuck. I'm looking for information on a David Morris possibly born in 1796. I can't seem to find his parents.

David Morris
1796–1830
BIRTH 1796 • Kemback, Fife, Scotland

DEATH 25 APRIL 1830 • Kemback, Fifeshire, Scotland, United Kingdom

Married to an Agnes.

My grandpa's name was David
Great grandpa was David
Great great grandpa was Alexander
Great great great grandpa was David
Great great great great grandpa was David and now i'm stuck. I'm guessing another David :)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Morris Family 1700s help
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 24 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

The only David Morris born in Fife 1796 that I can see is:

David Morris
Born: 29/04/1796
Son of: William Morris and Janet Summers
At: Anstruther Easter

He married Agnes Smith 01/10/1819 at Kemback and had a bunch of kids in Kemback. However I don't see a birth around 1796 in Kemback for a David Morris. Just the one above for Fife. Did you see a birth for David in Kemback?
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline jmorris115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 03:51 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

David Morris

He married Agnes Smith 01/10/1819 at Kemback and had a bunch of kids in Kemback. However I don't see a birth around 1796 in Kemback for a David Morris. Just the one above for Fife. Did you see a birth for David in Kemback?

That must be it! Thank you so much! On ancestry the only thing coming back was a Kemback, Fife, Scotland.
I also see a Agnes Taylor and a David Monro from a census. I’m not sure why last names are different. Still researching. Thank you!

Offline jmorris115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Greetings.

David Morris

Could you please tell me what the kids names you found?

Offline jmorris115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 04:12 GMT (UK) »

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
That must be it!
Not necessarily. Not all baptism records, if they ever existed, have survived. So it is never safe to assume that the only candidate in the records has to be the right one. You need to look for additional evidence to prove, if possible, that it is right.

On ancestry the only thing coming back was a Kemback, Fife, Scotland.
Do not rely on Ancestry to be right about anything as far as Scotland is concerned. Do not trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I’m not sure why last names are different. Still researching.
Because until the start of the 20th century spelling of most names was fluid. There is no significance in spelling variations. If you are interested in Munros, you need to search (Scotland's People) using wildcards: M*nr* should pick up all but the most arcane variants. M*r*s should pick up most Morrises, but an additional search for M*r*c* might pick up a few more.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline jmorris115

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 18:26 GMT (UK) »
That must be it!
Not necessarily. Not all baptism records, if they ever existed, have survived. So it is never safe to assume that the only candidate in the records has to be the right one. You need to look for additional evidence to prove, if possible, that it is right.

On ancestry the only thing coming back was a Kemback, Fife, Scotland.
Do not rely on Ancestry to be right about anything as far as Scotland is concerned. Do not trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document.

See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

I’m not sure why last names are different. Still researching.
Because until the start of the 20th century spelling of most names was fluid. There is no significance in spelling variations. If you are interested in Munros, you need to search (Scotland's People) using wildcards: M*nr* should pick up all but the most arcane variants. M*r*s should pick up most Morrises, but an additional search for M*r*c* might pick up a few more.

Thank you for that advice. That is really helpful!