Author Topic: James Mumford, Crimean veteran?  (Read 599 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: James Mumford, Crimean veteran?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 24 20:23 GMT (UK) »
I thought that I found (several years ago) two possibilities for James in 1851.  However, the only printout I have is the Sawbridgeworth, Stanstead, Hertfordshire census.  James was not with his family in 1841 nor 1851.  (Other siblings were not with the family in 1851.)

It appears that the Stansted James was not my James (which is good for the military theory):
1851 Sawbridgeworth - James Mumford, age 23, born Stansted, Ag Lab. With Neville family.
1861 Stansted - James Mumford, age 33, born Stansted, Essex, Ag Lab. Wife, Emma, age 43.
1871 Stanstead - James Mumford, age 43, born Stansted, Labourer.  Wife, Emma, age 43.
   etc.

Tonight, I will look again for James in 1851 in case he was elsewhere in England.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 24 21:59 GMT (UK) »
As you know he married Susanna in London, with the marriage being registered with the registrar for the civil parish of St George Hanover Square. That suggests that one or other of them was living in London at the time, so that might be good place to look for them in the 1851 census. Incidentally, looking at the handwritten GRO register (image below) Susannah's name is almost certainly Vans not Vaus.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 24 22:11 GMT (UK) »
According to the Westminster City Archives which holds the parish registers, via FindMyPast, they were married in St Peter's Church, Eaton Square, Pimlico. Both were full age.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 24 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,

Not that it's relevant to proving/disproving the Crimean War connection, but once James and Susan[nah] got to Canada, did they have sons William Richard Vans b. 1863 and Frederick Ernest W b. 1865? There's partial tree for that family on FamilySearch.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 February 24 00:38 GMT (UK) »
As you know he married Susanna in London, with the marriage being registered with the registrar for the civil parish of St George Hanover Square. That suggests that one or other of them was living in London at the time, so that might be good place to look for them in the 1851 census. Incidentally, looking at the handwritten GRO register (image below) Susannah's name is almost certainly Vans not Vaus.

I have to be honest, I didn’t think of starting with London.  Last night, I started looking for James but will concentrate on the London area now.  I ordered and have a certified copy of their entry of marriage.  You are correct; their residences at the time of marriage were recorded as Ebury Street.  Susannah’s brother (Henry) and possibly sister (“A”, for Anna?) were witnesses.

Most of the documents that I’ve found for Vaus look like Vans, not Vaus, including the entry of marriage.  Seldom have I found a document that clearly shows Vaus. 

Thank you again for your help!

Added:  hmm, apparently whomever wrote the name thought it was Vans, didn’t he/she.  It would have been out of alphabetical order otherwise.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 February 24 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Lisa,

Not that it's relevant to proving/disproving the Crimean War connection, but once James and Susan[nah] got to Canada, did they have sons William Richard Vans b. 1863 and Frederick Ernest W b. 1865? There's partial tree for that family on FamilySearch.

Yes, you are correct again…William Richard Vaus and Frederick Ernest William were two of their four children.  Caroline Anna (most likely named after Susannah’s sisters) and James Henry were the other two.  I believe there are several family trees on Ancestry; I don’t believe I’ve ever looked at the FamilySearch site for a tree.  I will check that out as well.  Thank you again.  :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 February 24 00:59 GMT (UK) »
According to notes that I made years ago, Susannah had 14 siblings, only four deaths occurred prior to 1839. Susannah’s father died in 1846, her mother in 1850.  Susannah’s youngest surviving sibling was just 15 years old when their mother died.  After I search for James I will have a look around in 1851 for the Vaus siblings.  It’s been ages since I researched the Vaus’ but I believe one or two siblings were living in Essex, possibly in 1851.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Either James was in the military before he settled in Canada in 1857 (and he or the family wanted it mentioned in his obituary), or he fabricated the story to hide his past.

Anc*try has England and Wales Criminal Registers.  There are several records for a James Mumford in Essex, mostly for early 1850’s, but so far I haven’t seen any that include details about the man to either prove he was or wasn’t my James.

One very troubling record was
2 January 1855, Chelmsford
James Mumford, receiving stolen goods. Two convictions - twice before convicted of felony. Imprisonment: 6 years
Immediately under his name:
Charles Britton, stealing a fixture. Imprisonment: 12 months.

Of course, Mumford’s sentence would have to have been reversed/reduced if this was my ancestor as he supposedly married in 1857 and definitely was living in Canada by 1858, if not 1857.

The troubling part - it was possibly a coincidence with the names on the same criminal register, but Louisa, James’ sibling, married a Charles Britton/Bretton while living in Essex.  Did Charles steal a fixture and James “receive” it?   :-\

I’m deviating from my original question of James’ possible involvement in the military but I’m still trying to find him c1851.

Added:  I just found another record - the above James was age 55 and a Marine Store (Dealer?).  So, that at least discounts this James’ conviction.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Since I’ve not yet found James in 1851, I started looking for his wife, Susannah (hoping James might be nearby). I’ve found all of Susannah’s siblings (in 1851 in Surrey, England) except for Susannah, Emily and Louisa.  Perhaps the three women were living together; they’ve yet to be found.  Emily eventually sailed to Canada and lived with the Mumford family.  Louisa eventually got married and she was found on census forms after 1851.

One positive outcome has been finding Susannah’s older siblings’ birthplace.  While Susannah was born in Albury, Surrey, three of her siblings were born in Chilworth, Surrey.  It’s nice to finally find their records.  :)

I also looked for James’ siblings in 1851.  All but one were found; James was not in their households.  I’ve not yet found Thomas but he may have died in his youth.