Author Topic: Christie Stewart/Lillian white wedding 01/11/1916  (Read 779 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Christie Stewart/Lillian white wedding 01/11/1916
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 February 24 14:09 GMT (UK) »

Have you got a birth date for Alexander please ?

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 February 24 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Alexander Stewart 1898 Northern Ireland  - 27 June 1926  (aged 28 years) Mother Mrs J Stewart. Culmore. Londonderry. Northern Ireland.
Departure Port   Belfast, Northern Ireland
Arrival Date   27 Jun 1926mMontreal, Quebec, Canada - Vessel   Aurania.
Land settlement branch office Sherbrook.

https://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/microform-digitization/006003-119.01-e.php?q2=12&q3=874&sqn=179&tt=632&PHPSESSID=r3jogv7k40gcg05g5lfplknfk44pos6qr6lm039iqfailj861qj0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 24 February 24 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandra,I believe Alexander was born in December 1895,he was married to Margaret Gray in Ireland,I think he went to Montreal in 1926,where he died,unfortunately I only know that he died in the 1940s or early 50s,I think he was a railway layman in Montreal,possibly in the RCMP,but struggling to find evidence of this,I also think he had another older brother in Montreal called Joseph,who was a gardener,thank you so much for your help sandra

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 February 24 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Yes sandra,that is Alexander and his family

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 24 February 24 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Did Margaret travel to Canada ?  Did he have children in Canada ?

Might be difficult finding the death record  in the 1940's 1950's but someone may find a newspaper cutting if there was one.

Haven't come across a positive identification in newspapers. Some are not giving family details, just announcing the death.

Sandra

Added Looks likw we checked a few deaths oin this thread.  Youir Alexander is certainly elusive  :-\

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 24 February 24 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Looking at Joseph….

We know we should be careful with trees on ancestry but having said that there is a tree related to this family that indicates Jane Steel married a widowed William in 1892. They have Christy’s half siblings having mother Elizabeth Kelly. I don’t if the Irish records would cover this time period for corroboration?

There is a marriage in Montreal in 1914 for a Joseph Stewart with parents William Stewart and Eliza Kelly to a Euphemia Ferguson. Perhaps Sandra might put the record up for you?

What appears to be the arrival of Christy indicates he is going to his brother so perhaps this Joseph is the brother?

Anyway, food for thought.

PB

Added….the marriage record on the tree for Jane Steel has a residence related to Culmore which if I remember correctly is the location for the mother of the Alexander Stewart on the passenger list posted earlier by Sandra.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

Offline Dean Wells

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 24 February 24 18:57 GMT (UK) »
No sandra,I do not believe Alexander had children in Canada,his wife Margaret stayed behind in Belfast and never visited Canada,he had a child in Belfast,my grandad Terence leo Stewart in 1924,I tried to find out more about Joseph as I believe Alexander went to meet him in Montreal.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 February 24 19:08 GMT (UK) »
Was it Joseph or was it John.

The 1901 shows a John Stewart born 1889 but I couldn't see a Joseph ?

Sandra

Birth Redg was 1888

John Stewart
Birth Quarter   Oct-Nov-Dec - Birth Date   1888 - Birth Place   Londonderry, Ireland
Birth Registration Date   Dec 1888
Volume   2 Page   171

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 24 February 24 19:17 GMT (UK) »
The tree I mentioned just above has a Joseph born 1882 and John born 1888.

The Joseph who married Euphemia (Effie) died in Montreal in 1974. His death notice is in the Montreal Gazette but doesn’t appear to mention any brothers.

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.