Author Topic: Marriage - Paul Joseph Martin Defrance 1785 Mouflieres--Saint-Nicolas  (Read 485 times)

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - Paul Joseph Martin Defrance 1785 Mouflieres--Saint-Nicolas
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 February 24 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am not on my computer and cannot do more than say: you ´ll find the acte de décès page 115/325

Widower of Therese Martin , his son Joseph and his brother in law Benjamin Robbe were the informants

Offline Zefiro

• RootsChat Veteran
  • breeze from the west
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 February 24 13:11 GMT (UK) »
https://archives.somme.fr/ark:/58483/jmwgzf9qt7c6/2b528488-63ac-4c00-a0e0-25a7e28ed21b

The link you provided was wrong because it contains the register for the village of Nesle instead of Neslette.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 February 24 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Zephiro , I did'nt search via apaulin's link but looked by myself in the Neslette registers . Your link is the right one and so is the page 115 that  I gave.

Offline apaulin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you joger and zefiro, and apologies for providing the wrong link. I wasn't aware that Neslette and Nesle were two different communities.

I appreciate you finding the correct link for me.

Could I ask for a transcription and translation of the Death please.

I see the following page appears to relate to the surname Defrance as well. A possible relative?

Thankyou

apaulin

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 February 24 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Transcription :
Du dixième jour du mois de juin acte de décès de joseph Paule martin de france veuf agé de soixante ans décédé en son domicile laboureur et comparu par devant nous Pierre Le compte maire de Nelettte pour recevoir les déclarations de décès des habitants de cette commune et en dresser les actes Joseph de france son fils lequel étoit accompagné de Benjamin Robbe beau frère  laboureur à Nellette agé de cinquante et un an premier témoin d'Auguste Cadot ménager domicilié à Nellette agé de quarante huit ans second témoin et nous ont déclaré que joseph paule martin de france veuf de therese martin son épouse étoit mort ce jourd'hui à une heure après midy où je me suis transporté au lieu de son domicile pour m'assurer du décès et dressé le present acte que Joseph de france fils , Benjamin Robbe beau frère, Cadot ami ont signé avec moi, jour , mois et an cy dessus après que lecture leur a été faite

Offline apaulin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you joger for the transcript of the death.

Could I have a translation please. I tried google translate, but it appeared to translate quite poorly

Many thanks

apaulin

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 19:25 GMT (UK) »
apaulin over the years I have spent hours translating on here and trying to capture the nuances of the original. I have recently discovered that ChatGPT, DeepL, Copilot (on Bing) do a pretty good translation that may only require a few tweaks. If you use Bing on Windows then Copilot uses ChatGPT 4 and this is its attempt at transcribing joger's transcription (he's done all the hard work for you - all you need to do is copy and paste). I have noticed that DeepL has a tendency to repeat certain sections of a translation.

On the tenth day of June, the death certificate of Joseph Paule Martin de France, a sixty-year-old widowed farmer, was recorded. He passed away at his residence. Present before us, Pierre Le Comte, the mayor of Nelette, to receive declarations of death from the inhabitants of this community and to formalize the documents. Joseph de France, his son, was accompanied by Benjamin Robbe, his brother-in-law and a farmer from Nellette, aged fifty-one, as the first witness. Auguste Cadot, a resident of Nellette and aged forty-eight, served as the second witness. They declared that Joseph Paule Martin de France, widower of Therese Martin, his spouse, had passed away today at one o’clock in the afternoon. I personally visited the place of his residence to verify the death and prepared this present document. Joseph de France, Benjamin Robbe, and Cadot signed with me on the day, month, and year mentioned above after the reading was completed.

I find that US English tends to be the norm as in the above. However you can specify UK English. If using copilot or ChatGPT enter Translate (or Translate into British English) and then paste in the French text using Ctrl + V

https://chat.openai.com/

https://www.deepl.com/translator

https://www.bing.com/copilot  You may already have this on the right side of the Bing screen

Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Manukarik: thanks very much  for the links, and  the translation which is really good, I ´ll have  to try  a translation for myself..

The name of the mayor was written Le Compte in the original acte de décès , though.

Offline apaulin

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 22:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your work and the links to translation.

I use apple Mac, not Windows. Not sure whether there is an equivalent that works with Mac.

Many thanks,

apaulin