Author Topic: Code in Burial listing  (Read 371 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Code in Burial listing
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 March 24 22:29 GMT (UK) »
HT's  first ref in Welsh does confirm my  info

He...
graduated with a B.A.in 1673 and an M.A in 1676  (Oxford. Alumni)

It looks like it maybe the Oxbridge M.A. where you are awarded an M.A. in circa 2-3 years after first graduating. ? in those days??
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 March 24 10:14 GMT (UK) »
He was enrolled Jesus College, Oxford, 19 Nov 1669, age 14 (his brother Hugh enrolled same day, age 16).
Henry graduated BA 1673 and MA 1676 (Alumni Oxonienses)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 March 24 10:51 GMT (UK) »
A bit repetitive.

I was referring to my earlier post.

Welcome from me too :)

My best guess is Cler = Cleric and A.M. is a form of M.A. (Master of Arts - possibly Oxford/Cambridge)

The Clerical Database.....  https://theclergydatabase.org.uk/jsp/search/index.jsp

.....has the entry shown below for him

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 March 24 16:16 GMT (UK) »

This is from Ruthin History Society a few years
An article about Cefn Coch.

The date of the sale of the Cefn Coch estate is not clear. Although it was put up for auction at the White Lion, Ruthin, on 18th June 1822, there is documentary evidence which suggests that the property remained with the Jones-Mortimer family in 1895.

The house appeared on the "Owen/Bowen" map of 1720 and an inscription on it states that it was the home of "... the truly religious. ingenious and learned Mr. Henry Price...". This was the Rev. Henry Price, Headmaster of Ruthin School. The dates assigned to his headmastership are several. In Ruthin School - The First Seven Centuries', (Keith Kenyon-Thompson) his tenure is recorded as having been from 1655 until 1691. If the latter dates are correct, he would have succeeded Thomas Chaloner. His memorial in Llanfair D.C. Church was erected by one of his pupils, who later became Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, a prominent Jacobite. It would appear that Price too was a supporter of the Jacobites and secretary of Sir Watkin's Jacobite "Cycle Club". Archdeacon D.R. Thomas records in 1684 that Henry Price was son of Ellis Price, Vicar of Rhuddlan and Prebendary of Llanfair D.C. Consistent with his Jacobite leanings, Henry refused to take the oaths of loyalty to William and Mary on their accession in 1688 and was thus obliged to join the non-jurors. This led to the loss of his post and the need for him to lie very low at Cefn Coch.

Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 March 24 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Very interesting. Wilcoxon, especially his Jacobite v William and Mary  stance  :)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 09 March 24 20:32 GMT (UK) »
The house appeared on the "Owen/Bowen" map of 1720 and an inscription on it states that it was the home of "... the truly religious. ingenious and learned Mr. Henry Price...". This was the Rev. Henry Price, Headmaster of Ruthin School. The dates assigned to his headmastership are several. In Ruthin School - The First Seven Centuries', (Keith Kenyon-Thompson) his tenure is recorded as having been from 1655 until 1691. If the latter dates are correct, he would have succeeded Thomas Chaloner. His memorial in Llanfair D.C. Church was erected by one of his pupils, who later became Sir Watkin Williams Wynn, a prominent Jacobite. It would appear that Price too was a supporter of the Jacobites and secretary of Sir Watkin's Jacobite "Cycle Club". Archdeacon D.R. Thomas records in 1684 that Henry Price was son of Ellis Price, Vicar of Rhuddlan and Prebendary of Llanfair D.C. Consistent with his Jacobite leanings, Henry refused to take the oaths of loyalty to William and Mary on their accession in 1688 and was thus obliged to join the non-jurors. This led to the loss of his post and the need for him to lie very low at Cefn Coch.

Not sure about "his tenure" from 1655 - isn't that his year of YoB although there is a question mark over it? See post # 4 URL which is headed "?1655-1726". A 1655 birth fits his age on being admitted to Oxford but the article also raises the 17 year gap 'twixt him and elder brother Foulk. Parents Ellis and Marie Maurice married 1637.

The same article confirms the 1690/91 date when he was one of the 18 Welsh "Non Jurors" which led to his losing his position as a teacher in Ruthin plus his Llanelwy Cathedral Church prebendaryship.

Offline corpus1977

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 12 March 24 08:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone who has replied. And I thought I was the first member of my family to go to Oxbridge (Cambridge in my case) looks like I was beaten by a few 100 years!!