Author Topic: George Mantle Netherton 1833  (Read 198 times)

Offline Ecogemm

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Mantle Netherton 1833
« on: Saturday 24 February 24 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Looking for some help as I’ve hit a brick wall!

George Mantle (b. c1833 in Netherton, Dudley) married Emma Raybould in 1860 (in Netherton, Dudley) and had one son, Enos Mantle (b. 1861), before George died (1866 of syphilis I believe) . His occupation on census (1852 and 1861) was Tailor. The marriage certificate has George Mantle (miner) as George Mantle’s father and possibly witnesses with the surname ‘low’. I can’t find any evidence of George Mantle (the younger’s) birth in the Dudley area or on 1841 census and can’t confirm which George Mantle might be the father. There are a few George Mantles who had George’s as sons about the right time around Dudley and Worcestershire but they are all accounted for and don’t match the info I’ve found! I’ve also checked Staffordshire with no luck. I presume they could have lived somewhere completely different, but it’s the birthplace on the census as Netherton that isn’t making sense.

Any help gratefully received!

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Mantle Netherton 1833
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 24 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Mary MANTLE 46 widow, father Job SIVATER a stick dresser.
Isaac LOWE   Marriage   15 Oct 1850   Worcestershire   Oldswinford St Mary: Parish Register

It is not this George below, when I followed it through he did become a Tailor but by 1871 he was still in Mamble and married. However I note on Ancestry someone has linked a George born in Netherton, father Joseph a miner to this George.

George MANTLE   Baptism   17 Apr 1834   Worcestershire   Mamble: St John the Baptist: Parish Register

Father George a Collier, mother Susanna, abode Mamble Village.

Sorry I cannot find a suitable George father George in the midlands, maybe the record has not survived?

By the way just for information Ancestry still think Dudley & Netherton are in Staffordshire.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 24 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Ignore - covered above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 24 13:13 GMT (UK) »
The 1851 entry has him aged 16 (1835) and the 1861 he is 25 (1836)

Aged 31 when he died 1866

Could be you are looking in the wrong age year

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 24 13:44 GMT (UK) »
......it’s the birthplace on the census as Netherton that isn’t making sense.

George and Mary MANTLE lived in Netherton when at least four of their children were baptised.  George was a miner.

Thomas, 1822, William, 1826, Josiah, 1827, and Catura (Keturah), 1829.  These are the only ones that I can see images for to confirm their abode.  Josiah possibly died aged 5 months, abode Netherton.

George and Mary were in Rowley Regis in 1841.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQTD-KY7

If they had a son named George then he might be with other relatives in 1841, but as there are no relationships it is hard to know.  I cannot see a baptism for Joseph either c 1834.

Debra  :)

Offline Ecogemm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for taking the time to look into this and reply -other perspectives might be just what's needed to almost crack it!

I think that it could be true that George who married Emma was the son of George Mantle and Mary (Siviter). Mary is down as a widow when she marries Issac Lowe in 1850 (although her maiden name is spelt Sivater). I have a copy of George (jnr) marriage certificate and think it was witnessed by Issac and Mary Low(e). So this does nicely add up. I will hunt again for evidence of George (jnr) in the local area with someone else in 1841 and a birth registration, although it could, of course, frustratingly have not survived.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 24 16:41 GMT (UK) »
George MANTLE of Kingswinford to Mary SIVITER of Kingswinford
Marriage   30 Oct 1820   Staffordshire   Kingswinford : St Mary : Parish Register
Witness1   Edward HAYNES  Witness2   Thomas WALKER

George MANTLE   Burial age 42   15 Jun 1845   Abode Parkes Lane   Staffordshire Coseley: Christ Church : Parish Register

Mary MANTLE 46 widow, father Job SIVATER a stick dresser.
Isaac LOWE   Marriage   15 Oct 1850   Worcestershire   

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 24 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Not sure about this as there was a George Mantle born there in 1841 parents George & Rhoda?

George MANTLE   Burial age 42   15 Jun 1845   Abode Parkes Lane   Staffordshire Coseley: Christ Church : Parish Register

Colin

Offline Ecogemm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 February 24 19:11 GMT (UK) »
I did see George and Rhoda - it looked like they had a son George in 1833/1834 who died within the year and then a second George in 1841. The birth year seems too different from George who married Emma for it to be the same though...? All the documents for George and Emma are fairly consistent with a 1833/1834 birth