Author Topic: Kate, Michael and Walter Duffy  (Read 250 times)

Offline Amxjjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kate, Michael and Walter Duffy
« on: Sunday 25 February 24 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,  I am doing research on my Grandmother Kate Duffy born 1880, her father Michael Duffy
(born 1856) and his father Wyatt (Watt)  Duffy (born 1817)

The 1901 census has all three living on lot 8 ab in Woodfield, near Kilkelly, County Mayo.

I am unable to determine when Wyatt came to be a tenant farmer on the lot, but I suspect by 1860's as the griffith valuation shows both Wyatt and Michael on lot 8ab.

I am aware the soil was bog so can anyone tell me what would have been planted in that area? Would it be only potato, or also oats and wheat ?  Wyatt lived through the famine, and I wonder how he stayed on the land as did Michael until his death in 1923 about.  Michael owned the land by 1908.  I am trying to understand better what life was like for them. Kate, my grandmother immigrated in 1911 along with my grandfather William ( Willie ) Connolly who lived a stone throws away in the townland of Derrynaned. 

Thank you for any insights you might have to share ! 

John Crotty ( amxjjo ) Ringwood New Jersey

book project "Finding Kate and Willie" underway. Trying to learn all about their lives and those of their parents and grandparents in County Mayo, townlands of Woodfield and Derrynaned ( Cahir ) from approx 1870 to 1920.  Kate and Willie left for USA in 1911 and settled in the Bronx NY. I am their grandson.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Kate, Michael and Walter Duffy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 24 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 24 11:37 GMT (UK) »
The civil records have been recorded in your earlier threads.
Are you now just researching their lives in relationship to the environment?

I also think the name should be Walter. Has Watt been taken from a transcription?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 24 11:48 GMT (UK) »
If you have not already done so, you might want to research the song, ‘Kilkelly, Ireland’.

https://www.rootschat.com/links/01t0o/

https://www.urlaurcommunitypattern.ie/kilkelly-ireland-by-peter-jones/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 24 11:56 GMT (UK) »

For the OP-

The oldest child of the 1878 Duffy/Judge marriage…Bridget Duffy born 2 March 1879 at Woodfield. The informant an Anne Judge from Gowlaun.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02927/2072563.pdf

https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/costello/kilmovee/kilkelly/gowlaun/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 24 12:46 GMT (UK) »

OP,
Following on from aghadowey's reply #1 and the 1911 census for Michael and family, here's the Household Return (Form A).
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003014286/

Look at the note on the form written by the census checker.

Referring to line 3 for Bridget ( which is scored out), the note says-

See Query
E 861
Returned in error (1911) as she was then in America
JJD

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 February 24 15:29 GMT (UK) »
...as did Michael until his death in 1923 about.

Michael Duffy died on 15 May 1926 at Woodfield aged 75 yrs. His widow Margaret was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1926/04989/4360614.pdf

(as mentioned in reply #1)

Margaret Duffy died on 20 December 1927 at Woodfield aged 72 yrs. Her son Martin Duffy was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1928/04960/4349876.pdf

Edited

Offline Amxjjo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 February 24 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Just a note of great thanks to all for your help on this!  There is new information here.  In general now I am trying to learn more about what life was like for Walter Duffy born 1817 and when he may have come into being a tenant farmer at Woodfield.  I know he was there by about 1856 when his son Michael was born. Which probably means he was there during the peak famine years a decade earlier, and wondering how he would have survived and what he could have planted.  I want to learn more about Lord Dillon who evidently owned much land in Mayo. The valuations also mention Francis O Grady as lessor of the land up to 1908.

My understanding is that Walter would have rented the land from Francis O Grady.  But how was Lord Dillon and his estate manager Charles Strickland involved? I understand they treated their tenants well during the famine.

In short, I am just trying to understand as much about what life was like in that area for Walter, Micahel, and eventually Kate , my grandmother, who I was close to who came over in 1911.   I am wondering why Kate needed to leave in 1911 when conditions I assume were much harder for Walter and Michael in Woodfield. 

Any insights welcome, and again, thank again to all, you are so kind  John Crotty

ps I am visiting the townlands on May 16 17 2024 and wondering how I go about getting permission to walk on the land.  I note lot 8ab in Woodfield has a house on it now, and the ruins of my ancestors are not really visable on google maps. 
book project "Finding Kate and Willie" underway. Trying to learn all about their lives and those of their parents and grandparents in County Mayo, townlands of Woodfield and Derrynaned ( Cahir ) from approx 1870 to 1920.  Kate and Willie left for USA in 1911 and settled in the Bronx NY. I am their grandson.