Author Topic: Thomas Melvin Roper  (Read 416 times)

Offline heatherlea1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Melvin Roper
« on: Sunday 25 February 24 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Looking for a photo and a family contact for Thomas Melvin ROPER #62348, NZ Army, who died in North Africa in 1942 of wounds in WW2. Our Franklin genealogy branch is writing short life stories of all the Service Personnel who appear on Roll of Honour memorials throughout the Franklin District.
We have found his parents, enlistment, marriage in 1941, and obituary but would like a photo and some confirmation of his pre war occupation and whether he had any children.
He appears on several memorial boards and on a memorial in the Waiau Pa School grounds.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Melvin Roper
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 24 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Is this his wife’s death?

1989/38347   Taylor   Phebe Moryeen   30 June 1920

Her husband was Milton Lindsay Taylor (NOT Milton Lindsay Fraser Taylor of Paeroa)

I don’t see any Ropers in the same electoral rolls as them. But of course any very small child might have become a Taylor.

Death likely in Dargaville. At least, that is where she is living in 1987 and had been since the 1960s.

(You don’t say you have it ….His death certificate is in the probate file on Archway, occupation given as Clerk, same as electoral roll - Ruakura State Farm)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline heatherlea1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Melvin Roper
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 24 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for these helpful posts and especially the photo - amazing the help through this forum.             
I had found that his wife remarried and in his (Milton Lindsay Taylor) will he named two daughters but as I am pretty sure one is still living, I didn't include that in my original post.