Author Topic: Alexander Jardine - Hosier/Sock salesman  (Read 428 times)

Offline JuneNZ

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Jardine - Hosier/Sock salesman
« on: Sunday 25 February 24 07:26 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a date of death for Alexander Jardine in Annan, DF. He married Jemima (Jamesie) Calvert on 23 November 1829 (SP) and she was alone in the 1841 Census noted as a Widow. Would there be Death records for Annan during this period? Or perhaps a good Jardine Family Tree site? Nothing coming up on Scotlands People or Ancestry.  I calculate that Jemima would have been aged about 42 at the marriage date.  :)  Regards, June

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Jardine - Hosier/Sock salesman
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 24 11:00 GMT (UK) »
The 1841 entry has Jemima Jardine aged 45 - widow.    How do you know this is the right Jemima? 

SP has an 1808 birth in Canonbie for a Jemimah Calvert.  When was Alexander born?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 24 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Her death cert in 1855, aged 64, has Alexander as Widower and what looks like (Deserted )

Attached a snip for interpretation.

Gadget

add - others on the page have deceased and not widow/widower.

Add2 - I've asked for handwriting help.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 24 14:19 GMT (UK) »
I read it as   book seller  "deceased"

SS

Realised it could be "sock seller"

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 February 24 14:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't think you read what I said.

I said, the other entries on the page have Deceased marked clearly without widow/widower. This one is Widower and then ?Deserted . There is no mention of Deceased in the entry.

See this example of Deceased. You can't have Widower who is deceased!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 February 24 15:00 GMT (UK) »
This is a snip from the married col showing the other entries. The Jardine one is the bottom entry

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 February 24 15:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm finding it hard to see it as anything other than Widower and Deceased. Might it mean that Alexander was a widower when she married him, then he died before she did?

As it's 1855, the certificate should give a list of the couple's children. Can anything be deduced from that about who was alive and when?

Incidentally, it looks more like Book than Sock - compare the 'S' in Seaman above. And wouldn't a sock seller have been described as a Hosier?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 February 24 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Nothing in the family column, Arthur. I've not come across the spouse described as widower on Scots  death certs previously, unless they are the widow/widower of the deceased.  They were either alive or dead - i.e. widow/er or deceased not both.

Deceased and Deserted have a similar form and this entry is not as clear as the others. 

It could be that he had deserted  her but the informant didn't know whether he was alive or not  so entered both??

So far no deaths found but, if he was a sock/hosiery salesman, he could have been anywhere in SW or the borders  :-\

Gadget

Add - Informant was her sister in law, Mary Calvert.

Offline David Nicoll

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 February 24 15:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi, am I correct in thinking this is Scottish? If so I would get them to rescan on check the certificate. I had one I thought was a name. Actually said, previously married, name unknown!
Nicoll, Small - Scotland Dennis - Lincolnshire, Baldwin - Notts. Gordon, Fletcher Deeside