Author Topic: DNA Test Surprise - any ideas where to look next  (Read 792 times)

Offline SearchYC49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
DNA Test Surprise - any ideas where to look next
« on: Sunday 25 February 24 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Took a DNA test a while back as a bit of fun at Christmas and it came back with some surprising results, I'm 57% Irish and balance Scottish, somewhat surprising as my Dad was English, none of his family are showing as matches to me.
Few paternal matches and closest is 2nd-3rd cousins in US. Only connection I can find between US matches is a McLarey family from Limavady in Ireland. One sibling went to Port Glasgow Elizabeth McLarey, married an Archibald McCorkell (also Irish) in 1911. Elizabeth died aged 34 in 1925 leaving a large young family. Elizabeth was the daughter of Michael McLarey and Mary Ann nee McLaughlin.
It is a long shot, wondering if there are any descendants of Elizabeth McLarey out there, as I can only assume my Mum met some one in Scotland. My parents passed away sometime ago, Came across this site and would appreciate any advice or suggestions which may help, thanks

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Test Surprise - any ideas where to look next
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 February 24 22:38 GMT (UK) »
I don’t know a lot about DNA however I presume it was an Autosomal DNA test you did?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 February 24 22:44 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for descendants of Elizabeth McClary you'll need to search for them on Scotland's People (a pay website) for births, marriages, death. Have you tried contacting any of those matches in case they've already researched the family?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 February 24 23:17 GMT (UK) »
... none of his family are showing as matches to me.
Few paternal matches and closest is 2nd-3rd cousins in US.

This is somewhat unclear, and potentially contradictory.

In the first place, members of your dad's family will only show as matches of they have taken DNA tests.  Do you know if any have done so?

You then seem to indicate that relatives on your dad's side do show up, just at a more distant remove than you were expecting?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Andrew C.

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 24 00:26 GMT (UK) »
I suppose she/he means that those paternal matches are not connected to his/her father hence the surprise.

Offline SearchYC49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 24 07:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Apologies if my message was confusing, did an Ancestry DNA test, mum’s family appeared as matches. No matches appeared to my Dad’s family, subsequently some paternal cousins took tests and they do not appear as matches to me. Matches showing as paternal on Ancestry, closest are 2nd-3rd cousins in US, descendants of Michael McLarey of Limavady.
One of Michael McLarey’s children went to Port Glasgow, married Archibald McCorkell, who was also Irish. Have latched onto this family as McCorkell children DNA would be Irish, and as my Mum born and grew up in West of Scotland likely she met my biological father here. Been on Scotlands People and identified children of Archibald and Elizabeth McCorkell, who are now passed, and some of their grandchildren also passed. Is there anything I could try even if just to rule out this family? Thanks

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 24 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Ethnicity results are an Estimate so please do not take them as 100% correct as the results presently vary widely depending upon the testing company used.  My own and my Wife’s DNA Ethnicity Estimates bear no similarity to what they showed 8 years ago when we first tested, it is like the test results for different people.

You indicate that none of his family connect to you, can you confirm that they have taken a DNA test?

If they have not, I would suggest is to get both Maternal and Paternal First Cousins to test with the same company that you tested with which hopefully is Ancestry.  If it is not, then you all will benefit from testing with them as they have by far the biggest DNA database.

If you have siblings then they should take a DNA test to confirm your relationship with you.

We can collectively help you through understanding the results.

As you have already found a DNA test can give unexpected results.

It is pretty common to have unknown Second and Third Cousins in a family tree, I myself have just made contact with a large group of Second Cousins who all live 4000 miles away, DNA helped find them.

The worst case of DNA results can be that parentage is not what one expects, ie Father is not the Biological Father or neither “parent” is a Biological relative, so be prepared for worst case scenarios.

Pandora’s Box is already open.

Offline Biggles50

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 24 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Read this sticky

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=863488.0

Please read it in full as I’ve added to the information via a recent post

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 February 24 22:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a half sister on my paternal side and manage her result. My paternal Irish figure is 38% whilst my sister has just 23%.  as we share the same father we have to share the same ancestors back from him so common sense would suggest it should be somewhat closer figures.