Author Topic: DNA Test Surprise - any ideas where to look next  (Read 791 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: DNA Test Surprise - any ideas where to look next
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 02:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Do you have any living siblings, or any nephews and nieces? .If you could persuade  someone closer than a 1st cousin to test , it would certainly give you the answers to if your father is your bio father.

Having  unknown second  cousins  doesn't  mean that your father isn't your father, or all  these unknown matches second,  and third cousin matches.
If  your 1st ( your father's siblings children)  cousins have tested and they are not matching to you, I still would not assume  that your father isnt your bio father at first glance. It could be that your father was illegitmate ( ie your grandparents  are not his bio parents, maybe his  bio parents were Irish , or even Scottish even though he was born in England ) .
I'd 100% rule out it  first , if it maybe your father  that was an illegitmate child.
Does your father have any living  siblings? If they do ,maybe they could  test?
Regarding  the ethnicity bit, I wouldn't totally go by that. Your mother may have a huge  bit of Irish  in her, being Scottish, and it's not all from your father and vice  versa. As you probably know  Irish were always popping over  to Scotland, and vice versa.

My mother is from Ireland, born and bred , as too my grandparents  and my  gg   and so on. and go back as far as I can possibly trace back in the midst of time, a few centuries,  but in my 50% from my mother  ( my father is welsh) have lots of scottish in me  too  with the Irish as well of course ,as many of my lot came over to Ireland  from Scotland at one point  in time or another , and many of my Irish families also emigrated into Scotland too 

I'd  be first  looking towards any  very close family to test, such as  your siblings if any , nephews/ nieces, or a living  uncle/ aunt. It will make it far easier for you to tell  if your father is  your  bio father or not,  or if it's   your  father 's parents who  are  the ones  that  are not the bio parents.
Kind regards

Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline SearchYC49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 07:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your advice and suggestions, I’ll revisit who’s taken a DNA test in the family and see which relatives on my Dad’s side could take a DNA test, thanks again

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Oops deleted
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.