Author Topic: Bradley/Brown Roscree  (Read 492 times)

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bradley/Brown Roscree
« on: Monday 26 February 24 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!

Having a hard time trying to find information about my great grand father. His name is Frank or Francis Joseph Bradley Brown. His father name is Timothy Bradley and his mother Margaret Brown/Browne. According to Frank´s death certificate (1919) he was born in 1851 and according to a  birth certificate of one of his children (1911), he was born in 1855. The Mexican document states he was from Roscree. If anyone have some ideas I would appreciate it!!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley/Brown Roscree
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 08:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!

Having a hard time trying to find information about my great grand father. His name is Frank or Francis Joseph Bradley Brown. His father name is Timothy Bradley and his mother Margaret Brown/Browne. According to Frank´s death certificate (1919) he was born in 1851 and according to a  birth certificate of one of his children (1911), he was born in 1855. The Mexican document states he was from Roscree. If anyone have some ideas I would appreciate it!!

So he died in Mexico?
And children born Mexico?
Where did he marry?
When did he emigrate to Mexico?
What was his religion?
Why do you think he was from Tipperary - where is this stated?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone!

So he died in Mexico?
And children born Mexico?
Where did he marry?
When did he emigrate to Mexico?
What was his religion?
Why do you think he was from Tipperary - where is this stated?

Hi Wexflyer. Thank you for your reply.

-Yes he died in Mexico, according to his death certificate he died March 1st of 1919, 68 years of age (supposedly).
-All children were born in Mexico (those that I Know of, including my grandmother).
-He married to my great grandmother in Santiago Papasquiaro, Durango. Mexico, date April 25 of 1906. He supposedly was 48 years old.
- I have no clue when he emigrated, I think he came to develop the railroad.
- I suppose catholic, since it's the main religion in Mexico and he baptised my grandma.
- The birth certificate (in the genuine historic archive) of one of my great aunts describes that he was from Roscree, Tipperary. My great aunt was born in 1911.

I remember I saw another archive (but newer) that said he was from Belfast but, my logic says the older one has higher probability of being more accurate.

Thanks!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 21:10 GMT (UK) »
- The birth certificate (in the genuine historic archive) of one of my great aunts describes that he was from Roscree, Tipperary. 

Are you talking about Roscrea?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5335092#map=14/52.9541/-7.7934

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscrea

Added: Welcome to RootsChat

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 23:29 GMT (UK) »
- The birth certificate (in the genuine historic archive) of one of my great aunts describes that he was from Roscree, Tipperary. 

Are you talking about Roscrea?

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5335092#map=14/52.9541/-7.7934

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roscrea

Added: Welcome to RootsChat

Hey, yes, I believe so. The original act of 1911 has the name Roscrea. My bad for writing Roscree on Topic.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 February 24 03:56 GMT (UK) »
I asked about religion, as Francis was born before the start of civil registration in 1864, so one has to look at parish registers and any other sources.

Luckily both the Catholic (from 1810) and Protestant (from 1792) parish registers for Roscrea exist, and are available online.

I can see what is probably Francis' father in the Catholic parish registers, but not Francis.

6/11/1821 Parish of Roscrea, John Bradley married Mary Hanly
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634775#page/97/mode/1up
 - roughly in center of left hand page
 - A reasonably afluent family as they gave the priest a stipend of 2 pounds.

4/10/1822 Parish of Roscrea, Timothy Bradly, baptized, son of John Bradly and Mary Hanly
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634776#page/5/mode/1up

- last entry, bottom of right hand page

Timothy is the only child born to this family that I can see.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 February 24 04:24 GMT (UK) »

I remember I saw another archive (but newer) that said he was from Belfast but, my logic says the older one has higher probability of being more accurate.

Thanks!

Was this an original document, in Mexico, referring to Francis, that stated Belfast? Or something like an Ancestry family tree, or a hint on Ancestry? I ask as there are many records on Ancestry for a Francis Bradley stated to be born Belfast, mid 1850s.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 February 24 04:33 GMT (UK) »
We can then look for John Bradley or Timothy in other records - specifically in Valuation Office and Griffith's Valuation [both are associated with land taxes].

John Bradley is listed as leasing a substantial house in Rosemary Street, in the town of Roscrea, in the Townparks townland.

Here he is on 25/1/1848. The size of his house and quality is listed (measurements in feet).
Also has an "office" and stable [does not mean a business office!].
https://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246906_00143.pdf

And also supposedly in April 1849
https://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/vob/IRE_CENSUS_1821-51_007246906_00699.pdf

With note that his rent was high (for what he was getting)!

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 February 24 04:37 GMT (UK) »
Townland of townparks, Roscrea
https://www.townlands.ie/tipperary/ikerrin/roscrea/roscrea/townparks/

If you expand the map, you can see Rosemary St. in the south-east corner of the townland, running south from the center of the town.