Author Topic: Bradley/Brown Roscree  (Read 493 times)

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley/Brown Roscree
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Well, as it happens, there is a Francis Bradly, baptized Belfast, 1853

17/4/1853, St. Patrick's, Belfast, Co. Antrim
Francis, son of JAMES Bradly and ELLEN Brown

As you can see, the parents names don't match with other information.
Also, this date seems to fall into a gap which was not microfilmed, though there is a transcript (above).

Yeah, parents first name don't match, but who knows, we might be close. All the records describe the parents names as Timoteo (Timothy in english) and Margarita (Margaret or Molly in english I guess).

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Well, as it happens, there is a Francis Bradly, baptized Belfast, 1853

17/4/1853, St. Patrick's, Belfast, Co. Antrim
Francis, son of JAMES Bradly and ELLEN Brown

As you can see, the parents names don't match with other information.
Also, this date seems to fall into a gap which was not microfilmed, though there is a transcript (above).

I just dug depper and I found out that Francis was present (as witness) in a marriage ceremony of my other great grand parent  (he was Scottish, paternal side). The document is from 1905 and it also says Francis was from Roscrea.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:58 GMT (UK) »
But there was indeed a Timothy Bradley born in Roscrea in 1822, where there were VERY few people of that surname.
In fact, searching the civil registration database for Roscrea SRD from the start to 1900 for Bradl*, I see
0 births
0 deaths
1 marriage
The marriage is interesting, as the father's name is Timothy Bradley - can't be your Timothy, as too early - maybe his grandfather. But establishes the name Timothy Bradley in the area, where very rare.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1846/09318/5374199.pdf

1846 Roscrea marriage of Margaret Conlon, nee Bradley
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 February 24 06:03 GMT (UK) »

For example my grand mother marriage registration describes Francis/Frank was from Belfast. Also his death certificate says that.

Are you sure - I was just looking at his Durango death registration. I don't see any mention of Belfast?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 February 24 06:09 GMT (UK) »
But there was indeed a Timothy Bradley born in Roscrea in 1822, where there are VERY few people of that surname.
In fact, searching the civil registration database for Roscrea SRD from the start to 1900 for Bradl*, I see
0 births
0 deaths
1 marriage
The marriage is interesting, as the father's name is Timothy Bradley - can't be your Timothy, as too early - maybe his grandfather. But establishes the name Timothy Bradley in the area, where very rare.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1846/09318/5374199.pdf

1846 Roscrea marriage of Margaret Conlon, nee Bradley

Very interesting indeed! It's very hard to find information, I don't think Timothy bothered to register Francis at all.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 29 February 24 06:18 GMT (UK) »
Is anything known of Francis' career before he came to Mexico?
There is a lot of detail on a Francis Bradley of Belfast, supposedly born 1856 (but dates often off), as a sailor - not just a sailor, but an "Only Mate"

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 29 February 24 06:18 GMT (UK) »

For example my grand mother marriage registration describes Francis/Frank was from Belfast. Also his death certificate says that.

Are you sure - I was just looking at his Durango death registration. I don't see any mention of Belfast?

You are right, it's on my grand ma marriage registration. This was in 1938, so Francis passed away already. Sorry, it's just that I saw so many documents.

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 29 February 24 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Is anything known of Francis' career before he came to Mexico?
There is a lot of detail on a Francis Bradley of Belfast, supposedly born 1856 (but dates often off), as a sailor - not just a sailor, but an "Only Mate"

Not at all, it's been quite a challenge to find information about him. I just know he came here to work on the railroad and forest exploitation. There is a rumor he went to Canada or US first (before going to Mexico), but I have not been able to confirm that.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 29 February 24 06:51 GMT (UK) »
If we then turn to Griffith's Valuation, published in June 1853 for Co. Tipperary - John Bradley is still listed in Rosemary St.   House No. 8. Valued at over 5 pounds. (This is supposed annual rental value)

You can pull up the original printed document on this site
https://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/