Author Topic: Bradley/Brown Roscree  (Read 496 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Bradley/Brown Roscree
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 February 24 04:46 GMT (UK) »
If we then turn to Griffith's Valuation, published in June 1853 for Co. Tipperary - John Bradley is still listed in Rosemary St.   House No. 8. Valued at over 5 pounds. (This is supposed annual rental value)
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:02 GMT (UK) »
While Bradley is a rare name in the vicinity of Roscrea, so not so difficult to find John and Timothy Bradley.

However, there were many Margaret Browns in the area, so I can't tell which one was potentially Francis' mother - assuming she was from the area also.

No sign of a Bradley - Brown marriage, or of a baptism for Francis, I am afraid.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:10 GMT (UK) »
I asked about religion, as Francis was born before the start of civil registration in 1864, so one has to look at parish registers and any other sources.

Luckily both the Catholic (from 1810) and Protestant (from 1792) parish registers for Roscrea exist, and are available online.

I can see what is probably Francis' father in the Catholic parish registers, but not Francis.

6/11/1821 Parish of Roscrea, John Bradley married Mary Hanly
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634775#page/97/mode/1up
 - roughly in center of left hand page
 - A reasonably afluent family as they gave the priest a stipend of 2 pounds.

4/10/1822 Parish of Roscrea, Timothy Bradly, baptized, son of John Bradly and Mary Hanly
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000634776#page/5/mode/1up

- last entry, bottom of right hand page

Timothy is the only child born to this family that I can see.

Hey!

Thanks again for the information you are providing to me! I will look at it with care. I tried to access Parish records before but sometimes it's so hard for me to understand whats written on them. I really appreciate it.

I remember I saw another archive (but newer) that said he was from Belfast but, my logic says the older one has higher probability of being more accurate.

Thanks!

Was this an original document, in Mexico, referring to Francis, that stated Belfast? Or something like an Ancestry family tree, or a hint on Ancestry? I ask as there are many records on Ancestry for a Francis Bradley stated to be born Belfast, mid 1850s.

For example my grand mother marriage registration describes Francis/Frank was from Belfast. Also his death certificate says that. All these are official documents from the time. It's actually an impressive job what the Civil Registration office accomplished.

Attached is an old photo of my great grandpa (far left, next to the dog) with other folks from the British/American group living in Mexico. He specifically came to develop the railroad.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:20 GMT (UK) »
The photo says Joseph Bradley?

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:21 GMT (UK) »
While Bradley is a rare name in the vicinity of Roscrea, so not so difficult to find John and Timothy Bradley.

However, there were many Margaret Browns in the area, so I can't tell which one was potentially Francis' mother - assuming she was from the area also.

No sign of a Bradley - Brown marriage, or of a baptism for Francis, I am afraid.

Here is part of the document (birth registration of one of his daughters) where Roscrea is mentioned. And his signature in it as well.

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:24 GMT (UK) »

Here is part of the document (birth registration of one of his daughters) where Roscrea is mentioned. And his signature in it as well.

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:25 GMT (UK) »

Offline kevinsv007

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:27 GMT (UK) »
The photo says Joseph Bradley?

Yeah, because in every registry it says Francis/Frank Joseph Bradley Brown Brown. In spanish Joseph would be José.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Well, as it happens, there is a Francis Bradly, baptized Belfast, 1853

17/4/1853, St. Patrick's, Belfast, Co. Antrim
Francis, son of JAMES Bradly and ELLEN Brown

As you can see, the parents names don't match with other information.
Also, this date seems to fall into a gap which was not microfilmed, though there is a transcript (above).