Author Topic: Daniel Culverhouse and Elizabeth Voice (Voyce) marriage 29 Sep 1741 Harpenden  (Read 266 times)

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
  • Grandad Harry and 3 of my uncles.
    • View Profile
Hi all, does anyone have or know where I can find the original transcription of this marriage please? Looking for any further information on Elizabeth, most trees have linked her to Elizabeth Voyce 1713
St Leonard's, Shoreditch, which means she would still have been having children at 52, whilst not impossible highly unlikely. If this link is proven I will have found 7x g grandparents as I already have her parents,(already have Culverhouse side). Thanks all, Pete
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Culverhouse and Elizabeth Voice (Voyce) marriage 29 Sep 1741 Harpenden
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 24 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, does anyone have or know where I can find the original transcription of this marriage please?
What do you mean by original transcription?
FindMyPast has image of the parish register
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Culverhouse and Elizabeth Voice (Voyce) marriage 29 Sep 1741 Harpenden
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 24 09:04 GMT (UK) »
It is not very clear but looks like Elizabeth Voice was of the parish of Northchurch. That doesn't necessarily mean she was born there, just where she was resident prior to marriage
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 24 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I did mean a copy, strange that they married in Harpenden when they were from Aldbury/Northchurch area and all their children are Aldbury. For the moment I will continue to rule out the 1713 Elizabeth Voyce. Thanks again, Pete
Mainly researching the Lees from Herts but also compiling a one name study of Culverhouse

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 24 11:02 GMT (UK) »
I thought the same about the marriage location. There was nothing on the original record about marrying by licence. This distance between residence place and marriage place makes me think of a couple of possible reasons:
The bride was pregnant - although the first child I have found was baptised quite some time after marriage, but there could have been an earlier stillbirth
The bride was under 21 and couldn't get parental consent (we know Daniel was over 21), so they went to a place where they weren't known and lied about her age.

Records of marriage at this time didn't require the couple to sign the register so we don't know if Elizabeth could sign her name and how she would spell it herself. If she were illiterate the priest would spell her name as he heard it as he couldn't check the correct spelling with her.

The nearest I can find is an Elizabeth Vaux baptised at Great Berkhampstead  23 Aug 1720 d/o Adam and Elizabeth (nee Watts). Could that be pronounced something like Voice? I can't see anything further for Elizabeth Vaux after baptism.

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 24 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again, I am also following up on surname Boyce, there was at least one family by that name in Northchurch at that time.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 24 11:34 GMT (UK) »
The surname Vize might be another one to look at. There are some in the area at the same time. If you say Vize with a local accent it might sound like Voice.

Offline AlgarvePete

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 February 24 12:47 GMT (UK) »
I now have a copy of Elizabeth Vaux Christening and the UX could easily be misread as IC. At the moment myself and a lady on Ancestry who is tracing same line and has the Great Berkhamsted records are using that as a guide line, Adam was married twice and Elizabeth is from the second marriage, thanks for all your help, without the Vaux link we would have both been at a wall at least now we have an opening. Thanks again.