Author Topic: 1848 Madras India Illegitimate Baptism  (Read 410 times)

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1848 Madras India Illegitimate Baptism
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 13:46 GMT (UK) »
For anyone who is interested in helpingto untangle a bit of a mess, here's a chronology of Charles William Etridge:

1826 Charles William baptised: parents Henry & Anna
1847 Birth of Ellen Amelia
1848 Baptism of Ellen Amelia: Charles William was a cabinet maker
1856 Charles William & Susannah Gnanapragasam married. Charles was 31 (born c1825) and manager of pension office Trichinopoly. Susannah was 24 (born c1832). His parents were Henry & Anna
1856 Henry born (apparently not baptised)
1857 Edwin Augustus born (apparently not baptised)
1858 Henry buried (born 1856): parents Charles William (a clerk) & Susanna
1858 Edward Adolphus born
1859 Samuel born (apparently not baptised)
1860 Samuel Buried (born 1859): father Charles W (a cabinet maker)
1862 Edward Adolphus baptised (born 1858): parents Charles William (a photographer) & Joanna
1875 Edwin Augustus buried (born c1857): parents Charles William (no occupation given) & Susanah
1875 Joannah buried, age 40 (born c1835): she was the wife of CW Etridge (a clerk)
1875 Ellen Amelia married: Charles William appears to have still been alive
1877 Charles William buried, age 45 (born c1832): Occupation assistant superintendent relief works, Poodoopet depot

Observations:
1) Anomolous occupations are cabinet maker (1848 and 1860) and photographer (1862), the others are probably all compatible clerical jobs. The wife of the "cabinet maker" was not mentioned in either record.
2) Edward Adolphus and Edwin Augustus could be the same person, although the mother's name is different.
3) There is no burial for Susannah, but there is one for Joannah
4) Unfortunately none of the other 3 or 4 children of CW married.
5) If the cabinet maker CW is not the same person as the clerical worker, then Henry & Anna Etridge are not Ellen Amelia's grandparents and are no so (or at all) relevant for my research.

Questions:
1) Is there only one Charles William with very different occupations? Or two?
2) Are Susanna and Joanna the same woman?
3) Are Edward Adolphus and Edwin Augustus the same person (in which case the answer to Q2 is yes)

For background Ellen Amelia Etridge married Anthony Tucker Gaudoin, my daughter-in-law's gt-gt grandparents. Anthony Tucker's brother Robert Daniel Gaudoin & Jane Bell were also her gt-gt grandparents.

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 16:45 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't answer any of your questions, and you might already have it, but I've come across this tidbit, so I'll share it.

The Internet Archive has a book, "Marriages at Fort St. George, Madras [India, 1680-1815]," which contains a marriage on 22 Jan. 1814 between Henry Etridge, widower, and Anna Hall, spinster.
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:02 GMT (UK) »
This doesn't answer any of your questions, and you might already have it, but I've come across this tidbit, so I'll share it.

The Internet Archive has a book, "Marriages at Fort St. George, Madras [India, 1680-1815]," which contains a marriage on 22 Jan. 1814 between Henry Etridge, widower, and Anna Hall, spinster.

I do have that marriage record from FindMyPast, but wasn't aware of that book on the Internet Archive. Thanks for that - I'll download it.

Henry married (at least) three times: to Clarinda in Trichinopoly in 1793 (she presumably died between 1805 and 1808), to Mary in c1806-08 (she died in 1813) and to Anna in Fort St. George in 1814 (she died in 1862). Henry had at least 21 children (6/4/11) and claimed to be a merchant, but TBH I'm surprised he had the time. Or the energy.

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Henry married (at least) three times: to Clarinda in Trichinopoly in 1793 (she presumably died between 1805 and 1808), to Mary in c1806-08 (she died in 1813) and to Anna in Fort St. George in 1814 (she died in 1862). Henry had at least 21 children (6/4/11) and claimed to be a merchant, but TBH I'm surprised he had the time. Or the energy.

Wow!
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:06 GMT (UK) »
If your daughter-in-law was a famous person and this was an episode of one of those genealogy shows, this would be the point when they'd say, "It's time for a trip to India!"

Offline farmeroman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:21 GMT (UK) »
If your daughter-in-law was a famous person and this was an episode of one of those genealogy shows, this would be the point when they'd say, "It's time for a trip to India!"

Definitely. It would make a very interesting episode. Her family were originally French merchants from Calais who migrated to India via Ile Bourbon (now Reunion) where they stopped off and married into the native population. She’s related to just about everyone on the island including Anne Mousse, the first female born there.

She hasn’t been yet, but I’ve done trips to both Reunion and Madras.

Online Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:35 GMT (UK) »
Definitely. It would make a very interesting episode. Her family were originally French merchants from Calais who migrated to India via Ile Bourbon (now Reunion) where they stopped off and married into the native population. She’s related to just about everyone on the island including Anne Mousse, the first female born there.

She hasn’t been yet, but I’ve done trips to both Reunion and Madras.

Awesome!