Author Topic: Help with John Druce Somerset/London  (Read 283 times)

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with John Druce Somerset/London
« on: Monday 26 February 24 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, I'm trying to track down John Druce in the 1851 Census as I can't seem to locate him! He was born in Lopen, Somerset, in 1806 but according to his pension records, he joined the met police as a constable in Jan 1840.

His wife is listed as Elizabeth and I think I have found the family in Action in the 1841 census - children Jane, William, John and Henry. John senior's occupation is police.

He is discharged as a PC on 27 May 1856 and the address given is 12 Cheapside (he is in the Kensington division) then I lose sight of him until 1861 when he is back in Lopen and working as a shoemaker. He goes on to remarry.

Just to add a bit of extra mystery! I believe I have found Jane, William and Henry Druce in the 1851 census, still in Acton and with a birthplace of Lopen but Elizabeth is now listed as Elizabeth Young, dressmaker and living/married to someone else??!! John Druce junior is in another household in Acton as a servant (baker).

To confuse matters more, there is a Jane Hazlewood Druce from Lopen who marries a man named Lowman in 1851 but then not sure why she would be on both census records. The Lopen connection does seem too much of a coincidence!!

Maybe I've taken a wrong turn somewhere with the family but even if I can't untangle that bit for now, it would still be nice to try to locate John Druce senior somewhere!

Any help would be appreciated. many thanks  :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Help with John Druce Somerset/London
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:22 GMT (UK) »

To confuse matters more, there is a Jane Hazlewood Druce from Lopen who marries a man named Lowman in 1851 but then not sure why she would be on both census records. The Lopen connection does seem too much of a coincidence!!

Marriage gives her name as just Jane Druce - abode Acton - father John Druce occ Bootmaker
(16th Feb 1851)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:34 GMT (UK) »

Just to add a bit of extra mystery! I believe I have found Jane, William and Henry Druce in the 1851 census, still in Acton and with a birthplace of Lopen but Elizabeth is now listed as Elizabeth Young, dressmaker and living/married to someone else??!! John Druce junior is in another household in Acton as a servant (baker).

William Young and his wife Elizabeth are a separate 'household' to the Druce children.  William Young married Elizabeth Mary Hillary in Dec qtr 1850 - note the Hillary daughter that is listed. 

What was Elizabeths maiden name and when did she marry John Druce

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:37 GMT (UK) »

William Young and his wife Elizabeth are a separate 'household' to the Druce children.  William Young married Elizabeth Mary Hillary in Dec qtr 1850 - note the Hillary daughter that is listed. 

What was Elizabeths maiden name and when did she marry John Druce

In 1841 Caroline Hillary and her mother Elizabeth Hillary are in Acton
HO107
Piece  687
Book  1
Folio  24
Page  7

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 February 24 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Is this his death?
Western Chronicle May 29th 1891
Deaths
Druce   May 18th at Lopon , Mr John Druce  formerly of the Metropolitan Police Force, aged 83.
Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 February 24 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Baptisms at Lopen for Jane, William and Henry all give Johns occupation as a Shoemaker.  Janes baptism confirms her middle name Hazlewood

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 February 24 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Johns marriage certificate for when he married Caroline Stuckey. 

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 February 24 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie. John Druce was a bootmaker in Lopen before and after he joined the police, so that all fits.
I believe Elizabeth's maiden name was Bishop when she married. I believe the marriage was on 8 Jan 1829 at Seavington St Mary, Somerset (which is close to Lopen). John and Elizabeth's son is William Bishop Druce. Still working out where Hazlewood came from!

What I couldn't work out in the 1851 census is that the Druce's are in a separate house but Jane is listed as daughter, with no head of the family mentioned? Typo perhaps? But at least the Young surnames now make sense, thanks.

I don't have the actual marriage cert for John and second wife Caroline but a newspaper report says that they were married on 2 Oct 1873 at the Independent Chapel, Ilminster (Somerset) by the Rev. J. Lucas. John Druce is a boot and shoe maker of Lopen, married to Miss Caroline Stuckey of Seavington St Michael.

They have an illegitimate son together before marriage - Fred Druce b. 7 Jun 1871 at Seavington St Michael, Somerset. In the birth cert and baptism record he is given the surname Druce so John must have acknowledged him. At this point, John was a widow in the 1871 census (in the 1861 census it says he's married put living alone in Lopen. No Elizabeth in the same census).

When Caroline dies in 1916, her death cert says widow of John Druce, police constable

Offline loubags

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 26 February 24 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Is this his death?
Western Chronicle May 29th 1891
Deaths
Druce   May 18th at Lopon , Mr John Druce  formerly of the Metropolitan Police Force, aged 83.
Cathy

Hi Cathy, thanks for the reply. I believe this is his death.