Author Topic: James or William Gillespie, b. ca 1885, Antrim but raised in England  (Read 1400 times)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James or William Gillespie, b. ca 1885, Antrim but raised in England
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that, CaroleW, will have a look.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Do you have access to the 1921 census? There is, in Liverpool, a James Gillespie born Belfast age 36.8 (corresponding very well to a birth in October 1884). His occupation possibly fits with the regiment in JWMG’s military record.

Clues therein suggest that the birth of Kathleen M Gillespie in Mitford, Norfolk, Q1 1919 relates to this man's daughter with Kathleen Maud Storrow.

I haven't found a matching marriage.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 February 24 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Alan, I do have access to the 1921 and did see that, but hadn’t got around to checking it again.  I looked for information on Kathleen Storrow, but couldn’t find anything.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 01:17 GMT (UK) »
This James WM Gillespie was buried in Allerton Cemetery on 17 Jan 1930, owner of grave Catherine Gillespie . His address was in Wavertree, I think it says 5 Dovedale Row. Grave no 703 section 31.

There is a pdf section map bottom of this page

https://liverpool.gov.uk/births-marriage-deaths/deaths/cemeteries-and-crematoria-service/cemeteries-and-crematoria/allerton-cemetery/

Interesting.  I don’t know who Catherine Gillespie might be.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 02:31 GMT (UK) »

Interesting.  I don’t know who Catherine Gillespie might be.

I was going around in circles looking for Kathleen Maud Storrow, and the only good fit with age, place of birth, and occupation (from the 1921), was Catherine Maud Storrow, born 1893.  On the 1911 she goes by Kate.  Parents Robert and Mary Ellen.
There is a possible passenger list for her travelling to South Africa in 1914 as an "artiste"  with many other "artistes".

Scouring the newspapers for such a person led me to "Kitty Storrow".... which led to the attached clipping, so in short, I think "Catherine Gillespie"  is the Kathleen of 1921.  Clipping is from a paper called The Stage, issued 23 January 1930.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 02:39 GMT (UK) »
This one says JWG is her husband.
Another one (Daily Mail  15 January 1930) says that James was a theatrical manager and director.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 03:09 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for spamming, but this article names a sister Dolly, which may not fit with the 1911 census siblings... I didn't check.  More importantly, it says she had three children. The newspapers list their ages, all younger than the child on the 1921.  However, the second link only mentions the child from the 1921, so.. I don't know!
(No sub required to read link)

https://www.newspapers.com/article/liverpool-daily-post-kitty-storrow/142191955/

https://www.newspapers.com/article/liverpool-daily-post-obituary-for-j-w-gi/142192711/

Edit:  one more -  https://www.newspapers.com/article/evening-express-storrow/142192940/

Edit again: 
Catherine Maud Gillespie
Age    70
Record Type    Burial
Birth Date    abt 1893
Death Date    abt 1963
Burial Date    28 Aug 1963
Burial Place    Merseyside, England
Cemetery    Allerton Cemetery

The image says "private grave", but the grave number isn't the same as the one posted for her husband by fiddlerslass. Edit: Her son, James William Robert Gillespie's ashes are buried with her.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 07:33 GMT (UK) »
further to reply #15, first linked item states that Kitty Storrow’s husband enlisted in the Artists Rifles which matches the enlistment detailed in a CaroleW post.

Offline AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 08:03 GMT (UK) »
24 March 1917: Birmingham Mail

SOUTH AFRICAN CHARGED AS ABSENTEE
...Robert John Nichol (27) theatrical property manager and carpenter, 88 Bath Row, was charged with being an absentee from the Army.  Defendant is the husband of Miss Kitty Storrow, the leading lady in the revue entitled "One hundred years ago" now being played at the Grand Theatre, Corporation Street, Birmingham. ...

The article explains that he married, in South Africa, "a young lady engaged in the theatrical profession" and returned with her to England on April 30th, 1916. The case was dismissed.