Author Topic: Seaman's ticket 1851, 1852 need help reading word  (Read 263 times)

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researching in all four provinces of Ireland
    • View Profile
Seaman's ticket 1851, 1852 need help reading word
« on: Monday 26 February 24 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I've been making the most of what information is available in the merchant seaman's tickets, even apart from the ship/port codes there are useful notes about appearance, date of birth, 4 years in American service, etc. Need some help with some notes please if possible.

This is the final ticket for the person I'm researching (Robert Craig, older brother of James Craig later Dunville Whiskey partner/millionaire - he got a bit of a better deal). Robert  died "falling from aloft at sea" on the ship "Mary" from Greenock, Shearer captain (seems sailed from the Clyde in January 1853, arriving 11 March 1853 in Havana, Cuba - just 11 days after this sailor died).

There's a note on this ticket, "Dis" something. Any ideas? 276.44.2 is possibly Margaret Pollack registered @ Glasgow, the ships for 87.3.12 and 27.7.- are unknown still but the ships were registered at Aldeburgh and Banff respectively going by the port codes.

Also another ticket from 1845 has some unclear note at the bottom of the outward voyages. 516-10-3 possibly Sea King registered @ Belfast. From the project linked from this British national archives blog for deciphering the ship codes.

An 1847 ticket I could read a note clearly - some useful info saying "Base at New York 22.5.48" (seemingly the date not the ship/port code).

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Seaman's ticket 1851, 1852 need help reading word
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 February 24 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Could be Desd - for deserted?
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 February 24 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Some of the ships seem to have gone between Scotland and Canada, could the second word be Quebec?

First word seems to be an abbreviation alright but maybe Di something

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Discharged Quebec ?

Offline cwatterson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Looks like it is Dis(charged) Quebec alright and then 27.7 is the date hence not having the third number in the usual code. If at some stage I can identify the preceding ship maybe I can find reference in the shipping news about that date.

The other word on the second ticket could be deserted but I’m not sure that’s an “r” in the middle.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 17:15 GMT (UK) »

The other word on the second ticket could be deserted but I’m not sure that’s an “r” in the middle.

Just my 2ps worth, but I'd say it says 'deserted'

Boo