Author Topic: Size of photo of death certificate  (Read 440 times)

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Size of photo of death certificate
« on: Monday 26 February 24 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I applied to the MOD for service records of my father in law four months ago. They say in an email yesterday that they have trouble viewing the death certificate and to resend it.

Can anyone please confirm what size it needs to be in order for it to be acceptable as I have forgotten.

Thank you!

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Size of photo of death certificate
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Unlike the boards here, which have a size limit, I doubt that (as people often say) size actually matters. Simply, you don’t want it to be so big that it takes ages to send the email or so small (as is probably the case here) that it’s unreadable.

If you’re using a scanner and they’re expecting to read it on a computer screen, I’d start by scanning it full size at 150 DPI and let the software convert it to JPEG format with medium compression. That should give you a file that’s both readable and not too big to email (somewhere between 1 and 2 MB).

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Main thing is to check it yourself before you sent it. If you can read all the detail they will be able to.

Offline Marianthompson47

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Unlike the boards here, which have a size limit, I doubt that (as people often say) size actually matters. Simply, you don’t want it to be so big that it takes ages to send the email or so small (as is probably the case here) that it’s unreadable.

If you’re using a scanner and they’re expecting to read it on a computer screen, I’d start by scanning it full size at 150 DPI and let the software convert it to JPEG format with medium compression. That should give you a file that’s both readable and not too big to email (somewhere between 1 and 2 MB).
Thank you!!

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 09:32 GMT (UK) »

Thank you!!

?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 10:24 GMT (UK) »

Thank you!!

?

OP,

When you want to reply with any text to previous replies, just position your cursor below the final 'quote' bracket ([/quote]), and add your text.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Online Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Didn’t spot the “Thank you”.