Author Topic: Latin Will 1483  (Read 433 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Latin Will 1483
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 February 24 19:39 GMT (UK) »
Part 3
Item, I will that the bridge called Barlowebrygge be constructed from my own goods as quickly as conveniently can be done. Item, I will that my executors should find, as soon as conveniently can be done after my death, a suitable priest to celebrate mass for the space of two years in the chapel of the Blessed Mary in the church of Stradbroke aforesaid, for my soul and the souls of my friends and benefactors, and he should receive 8 marks per year out of the payment for the tenement of Rowes in Hoxne[?], just as is shown in indentures made between myself and Henry Furmage. As for the residue of my goods not bequeathed above, I give and bequeath them for the disposition of my executors, whom I appoint as Alice my wife and Nicholas Hervy of Stradbroke, so that with God before their eyes they should dispose of them for the good of my soul, just as will seem best for them to do.

The present will was proved at Hoxne before us, James etc.,* on the 26th day of November in the year of the Lord 1483, and administration was granted etc. to the executors named in the said will, who were sworn in form of law. In witness of this matter we have had our seal placed on these. Given, etc.

* James Goldwell, Bishop of Norwich, 1472-1499 ?
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Goldwell

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Watson and Bookbox, for clarifying om(n)es.

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so far Horsleydown86 and Bookbox.  I thought there may be a few experts, but this is amazing.  My Latin was restricted to 5th form at school - maybe not quite good enough!!
I will sift through this, I already have some answers, but probably more questions.
Michael
PIPE, CABLE, STANLEY, WATSON, East Anglia
BARTON, JUPP, WOOD, MUNN, PETERS, MARTIN, Kent & Sussex
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 12:11 GMT (UK) »

*  Technically this is "little son".  I'll need to do more research on the possible meanings.

ADDED:

Both The Record Interpreter and the Revised Medieval Latin Word-List say that filiolus/filiolo means godson only.

re Horsleydown86's reply #4
Regarding "filiolo", is it possible that it could mean either son-in-law, or perhaps grandson?
I notice that Robert Pype's daughter Margaret has the surname of Furmage, the name to which "filiolo" refers.
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 15:17 GMT (UK) »
Regarding "filiolo", is it possible that it could mean either son-in-law, or perhaps grandson?
I notice that Robert Pype's daughter Margaret has the surname of Furmage, the name to which "filiolo" refers.

I thought this question was likely to be on its way when I saw Margaret's surname.

I can't answer definitively.  However it seems plausible, so I certainly wouldn't rule it out based on the definition of filiolo in the references.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 16:17 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that the testator might have been godparent to his grandchildren.

Offline mcmp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 29 February 24 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Bear in mind that the testator might have been godparent to his grandchildren.

Thank you both for your valuable input - greatly appreciated. I think the best plan is to assume the probability that it could be Grandson & Godson until I know otherwise.  The variety of meanings online of Filioli is wildly variable.  Very little information on the Furmage family in Stradbroke area, but something might pop up, as it does when least expected.  And strange that Robert Pype didn't mention his son John Pype, but he was probably self sufficient, as he donated £20 to the church a few years later.
Thank you again.
Michael
OXENBURY, Dorset
WILDE, Derbyshire