Author Topic: Can anyone help?  (Read 2772 times)

Offline linbob62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help?
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 29 February 24 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness you guys are amazing . Thank you! I will now look into this.i work during the day but always on it in rhe evening. I have so much go on .very exciting too xx

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 29 February 24 11:01 GMT (UK) »

Catherine Lodge (nee McNeill) died 1906 Port Glasgow. ** (see added below)
Once you have her marriage certificate you will get her parents' names. This should lead to her parents' Scottish death certificates, to census records, and possibly to Irish records. (If we can help - just ask.)

**ADDED
On her death 1906 - Catherine’s Lodge’s mother maiden name shows as McIlheron.

Possible death-
Catherine McIherin / McNeill / Cameron died in Gourock in 1911, age 69 (so if the informant has remembered correctly, she had 2 marriages – to Cameron and to McNeill).    Her mother’s maiden name was Blaney

I have been lurking in the background of this thread, and with all the hints given, I think that the parents of Catherine are Hugh McNeill and Catherine  "McIlherin", or some version of that.

The spelling of the names make it difficult;   McNeill is more often McNeil on earlier records; later records are more often McNeill.  The name McIlherin is simply mangled with many forms, such as McHeron, McElherran, etc.

I believe these are Catherine's marriages:

Catherine McElherran marriage to James Cameron, Port Glasgow, Renfrew  on 11 Mar 1867

Catherine McHeron marriage to Hugh McNeil, Port Glasgow, Renfrew on 01 Jan 1872

Offline linbob62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 29 February 24 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help on this it is very much appreciated, i have so much to go on and i am excited to make a start when im home later, have ordered this morning a certificate for Catherine Lodge , i will keep everyone updated as i go along,

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 29 February 24 12:18 GMT (UK) »
I think before you go any further with this Mary Macallister Lodge you need to have confirmation she is the mother of your Thomas Chalmers Lodge .Has the tree member been able to confirm this ?.There seems to have been more family born to Mary Macallister Lodge before 1930 according to the tree on Ancestry  ???. No mention of a Thomas born 1930 in Dundee the other children born Port Glasgow

Rosie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 29 February 24 20:11 GMT (UK) »
One possible check that you could consider doing is checking signatures for Mary Lodge.

I noted that the birth certificate that you received for your Dad has been typed up on request. It is not the original image of the entry from the register which Mary Lodge, mother, would have signed herself as the informant to the birth.

Perhaps you could check with Scotlands People staff whether this signature/image from original register entry could be made available to you? This could be checked against the marriage registration signature of Mary McAllister Lodge?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline linbob62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 29 February 24 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi  I do have this certificate

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 29 February 24 20:45 GMT (UK) »
That's great  :) You have the chance to compare signatures with other possible Marys.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 29 February 24 20:57 GMT (UK) »
Well, the marriage of Mary McAllister Lodge in 1938 can't be used for comparison. The image that SP have is from the copy of the original register. These are transcribed and state simply 'signed' meaning the original does have original signatures but not the copy you are looking at.

Mmm...let me try something else.

Monica

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 29 February 24 21:00 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth for a Mary Elizabeth Lodge, single mother Mary, in 1923 that at least one tree has connected to the same family.
The attached is the signatures from the birth of this girl, and Thomas's birth:

If you think it is a match, I will post the full image of Mary Elizabeth's birth