Author Topic: 9 British Soldiers killed in accident in Hamburg area on 14 January 1946  (Read 619 times)

Offline IAFC55

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
9 British Soldiers killed in accident in Hamburg area on 14 January 1946
« on: Wednesday 28 February 24 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to help an old chap find out more about the death of his Uncle.

These nine British soldiers were killed in an accident in/near Hamburg on 14 January, 1946. Family history (I know) has it that the men were sleeping on a barge/boat and the next morning they were found dead from carbon monoxide poisoning.

CWGC have no details and I have not been able to find anything online.

Just wondered if anyone else could find anything.

Thanks for reading this.

Regards

IanC

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 9 British Soldiers killed in accident in Hamburg area on 14 January 1946
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Ian,
After an incident like this there would have been a Board of Inquiry - somewhat similar to an inquest - where the aim was to discover exactly what happened and if possible to make recommendations to prevent future incidents of the same type. I very much doubt if the papers relating to this particular Board of Inquiry will have survived as, unless there was press or Parliamentary interest, the War Office would not have been infomed of the outcome of the inquiry. The Army (as opposed to the War Office which was a department of state and therefore subject to different rules about records) is fairly ruthless about getting rid of old records of an administrative nature once they are no longer relevant.
I assume you have checked the local press where your uncle's family were living. The only other two sources I can suggest are any regimental histories or old comrade association records for his former unit. You could also check their museum if they have one - most do.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 February 24 07:42 GMT (UK) »
there are a few reports of 3 British officers dying in a fire near Hamburg on 11 January 1946. sounds like it could be your story.
This item from:
Saturday,  Jan. 12, 1946
Publication: The Daily Telegraph

Captain Philip Montague SHEARMAN was one of those who died - death notices and obituary for him in various newspapers.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 February 24 09:03 GMT (UK) »
there are a few reports of 3 British officers dying in a fire near Hamburg on 11 January 1946. sounds like it could be your story.
This item from:
Saturday,  Jan. 12, 1946

Captain Philip Montague SHEARMAN was one of those who died - death notices and obituary for him in various newspapers.

Several days too early; no soldiers from RASC on Ian's list. No Shearman on the list.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 February 24 09:16 GMT (UK) »
HInckley TImes & Guardian, 1st February 1946 states it was a road accident

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 February 24 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

If the chap is willing to spend £11.00, you could order the death certificate from the GRO.  You would need the reference for the volume/page etc., but that is easily obtainable.  I didn't look up all nine names, but the ones I did look for are all showing in the series "Gro War Death Army Other Ranks (1939 To 1948)"

That said, it will state "cause of death", and may not mention the WHY.  What I mean is, it might state he died of carbon monoxide poisoning, but not the WHY of the presence of the carbon monoxide, so you wouldn't be any farther ahead.  It's a bit of a gamble with death records.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 February 24 11:57 GMT (UK) »
There is some newspaper information about a couple of other casualties on this thread (no hint of the cause though)
https://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/9-british-servicemen-killed-in-an-accident-in-hamburg-on-14-january-1946.102892/#post-1044558
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 March 24 08:28 GMT (UK) »
This item from:
Saturday,  Jan. 12, 1946

Several days too early; no soldiers from RASC on Ian's list. No Shearman on the list.

I realised that, however thought that the event may have become part of the "family history", confusing or combining two events.

Offline Andy J2022

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 03 March 24 12:59 GMT (UK) »
There is some newspaper information about a couple of other casualties on this thread (no hint of the cause though)
https://ww2talk.com/index.php?threads/9-british-servicemen-killed-in-an-accident-in-hamburg-on-14-january-1946.102892/#post-1044558
Jen,
Don't you think that the OP's user name IAFC might just be the same person as the IAF Chambers who started the WW2Talk thread?  And I'm interested in why, in your earlier posting, you think that the person IAFC was asking about was named Douglas Carruthers? As far as I am aware IAFC hasn't mentioned any name in this forum. The Hinckley Times article is dated 1 Feb and refers to an accident 'last week', but the title of this thread is about something which happened on 14 January.