Author Topic: Marriage of Amelia Leonard & Ernest Alfred William Laversuch in Southampton 1893  (Read 202 times)

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,  I'm trying to trace the life of Amelia Jane Leonard and after the 1871 census I'm not sure where she went. She was born on 24th February 1866 at 11 London Street, York Road, Islington, to parents John Leonard and Suzanne Asher.  Suzanne died on 29th August 1871 and Amelia and her 3 sisters were then separated, with Mary Ann and Louisa moving to Heckington (home of her mother), where Louisa died in 1879 and Mary Ann settled.  The other sister was Annie Maria Leonard and her whereabouts after 1871 is also a mystery.

Back to Amelia and there is a marriage for an Amelia Leonard in Southampton in 1893 to Ernest Laversuch and on subsequent censuses she is shown as born in Holloway in circa 1868, so is she my girl?  Her death certificate in 1937 suggests she was born in 1866.  I can't find details of her marriage to see if her father was a John Leonard, so can anyone help? 
Porter - Heckington/Boston - Lincs
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Williams - Merionethshire/Anglesey
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Amelia Leonard & Ernest Alfred William Laversuch in Southampton 1893
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 21:25 GMT (UK) »
If the marriage cert isn’t online you would have to buy a copy to find her fathers name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of Amelia Leonard & Ernest Alfred William Laversuch in Southampton 1893
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 21:32 GMT (UK) »
Freebmd has a birth for Amelia Leonard in 1864 Westminster then a birth in 1865 Shoreditch for Amelia Jane then your Amelia Jane 1866
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Ashtone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 February 24 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Is this Amelia in 1881? Domestic servant (age 16) in the household of Thomas E Collcutt (architect).
Address is 36, Bloomsbury Square, St Giles in the Fields and St George Bloomsbury.

Question: Where is the Leonard family in 1871?

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 February 24 12:15 GMT (UK) »
In 1871 the Leonard family are living at 23 Upper Edmonds Street, St Pancras.  I also found the 1881 entry for Amelia Leonard working as a servant in the household of Thomas Collcutt, but I can't prove it's her.  Amelia Leonard is a surprisingly common name.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 February 24 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Looking forward at the 1901 and 1911 censuses for Ernest and Amelia, Amelia gives her birthplace as Holloway London. I believe this is in Islington District so seems to be a good match?

As mentioned earlier, you would need to obtain the cert to see the father’s name. It doesn’t appear to be on line.

Baptized 20 Apr 1870 at St Luke West Holloway
Parents John and Jane Leonard…4 daughters

Hannah Maria
Amelia Jane
Mary Ann
Louisa

No dates of birth given. Is this the same family? (Image on Ancestry)

PB

ADDED: oops, missed the part about the censuses on your original post.
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 February 24 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Ignore - 1921 census info already known

Offline Nigel Porter

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 February 24 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Polarbear, yes those baptisms are for the sisters and I have their birth certificates too, but no idea why the mother is listed as Jane? Their mother was Suzanne Asher and she had a fairly tragic life, with her first husband (William Wright)  dying within a year of their marriage, as well as their only child (Fanny Wright).  She then had my great grandfather, John Asher Wright in 1860, but he was illegitimate, so not sure who the father was.  All this happened in Helpringham, Lincolnshire, but she had moved to London by the mid 1860's and then met John Leonard and had 4 daughters, though I can't find a marriage.  Although the girls are not direct descendants I would like to trace them.
Asher - Lincs
Otter - Lincs
Wright - Heckington
Giddings - Tydd St Mary
Rose - East London
Stevens - East London
Grimwood - East London