Author Topic: 1868 Birth of Daughter to Peterkin and Coull  (Read 498 times)

Offline DrewBD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1868 Birth of Daughter to Peterkin and Coull
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 March 24 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Ah. I searched specifically for Mary Peterkin in the Valuation Rolls. Yes, I've now found the same details in ScotlandsPeople Valuation Roll searches.
As it's Mrs Peterkin, this is her married name. Was Jane Ann's mother single / unmarried. That was always my assumption.
I'm now trying to identify the parents of 6yo John Young, Grandson of Mary Peterkin in the Mortlach 1871 Census. Birth place, also Mortlach. There's no exact match and all I can find is a James Young born 1865 to John and Jane Young (nee Stewart) In Glenrinnes.  ???
Elizabeth Peterkin, in 1885, at Gordon Villa, 43 Castle Street in Dufftown is also widowed and lives on the "Intertest of Money" in a large house with Lodgers. Not convinced there's a link to Jane Ann here.
Think I need to find out more about the Mary Peterkin who emigrated to Canada and will try to contact poster from 2009.
Drew

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 March 24 14:56 GMT (UK) »
It's clear enough that Jane Ann's mother Mary was unmarried when Jane Ann was born. If she had been married, it would have been assumed that her husband was the child's father, and his name would have been on the birth certificate. The absence of a father's name on a Scottish birth certificate always indicates that the mother was unmarried.

However I don't think the son of John Young and Jane Stewart is Mary Peterkin's grandson. This couple had George in 1849, William 1852, David 1857, Alexander 1859, Peter 1862 and Donald 1865. I have yet to find the record you refer to of James Young being born to them in 1865.

If John Young was aged 6 on the day of the 1871 census, he is more likely to have been born in 1864 than in 1865, because  the census was taken a quarter of the way through the year, at the beginning of April, and three-quarters of  people would not yet have had a birthday in 1871.

There is a birth of John Peterkin in Mortlach on 12 December 1864, mother Mary Peterkin, father not named. So it looks as if this John must be the grandson, a half-brother of Jane Ann Peterkin or Coull.

Given that a widowed mother-in-law Mary Peterkin of the right age, born in Banffshire, is in the household of William Greig in 1881 and 1891, I don't think you need to look to Canada to find your Jeanie Coull's mother. But it will do no harm to check out the emigrant.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 March 24 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Don't know how much you have on Benjamin Coull already, Drew.

Some details here for him http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/people/people_report_view.asp?REF_ID=NM023850

His entry on findagrave www.findagrave.com/memorial/202950688/benjamin-coull

There are a Will and also Inventory entries for him on www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk where he is mentioned as: retired shipmaster, Rock Cottage, Lossiemouth, d. 19/12/1919 at Lossiemouth, testate.

A small Family Search tree for him www.familysearch.org/tree/person/details/97HV-PH9

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 March 24 20:15 GMT (UK) »
From Trish's earlier census entries for William and Mary Greig, there was a daughter showing on the 1891 census. Her birth registration confirming her mother's maiden below:

GREIG, ROSANNA  ELIZABETH      
        Mother's Maiden Surname: PETERKIN     
        GRO Reference: 1882  J Quarter in FULHAM  Volume 01A  Page 293

William Greig is showing as widowed by 1901. He was listed as 52 and born in Kincardineshire. He is living with his daughter, showing as Rosanna E Greig, aged 18 and born in Fulham.

Daughter married in Chelsea area in 1902, a Charles Frederick L Bryant. The 1911 census shows them together with one son called William in Fulham. Charles's occupation was that of a Stationary Engineman like her father William Greig.

Charles Bryant died in 1935. Rosanna married again in Fulham in 1948 to a Harry Fenton.

Rosanna died at the age of 86 in 1st Qrt 1969. Death registered in Hillingdon, Greater London.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 March 24 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Possible death for Mary:

Mary Greig
Aged 48
2nd Qrt 1897 Fulham
Vol 1a/ Pg 162

And for husband William:

William Greig
Aged 65
2nd Qrt 1914 Fulham
Vol 1a/ Pg 362

A further possible death for Mary's mother:

Peterkin Mary   
Age 73   
4th Qrt 1897 Fulham
Vol 1a/ Pg 187

Monica

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 March 24 07:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for finding all that Monica and Forfarian.

I haven't been on here much due to a family situation.
So very happy that this has continued with extra info.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline DrewBD

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 March 24 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi MonicaL

Thank you for joining the conversation. I'm a little bit overwhelmed at the amount of information that everyone has provided. Can I say thank you again to all who have contributed. Huge respect for all of you.
Firstly, my earlier reference to a James Young born 1865 was, of course, wrong. It should have read Donald Young and had no connection to the family.
The Benjamin Coull connection was quite straight forward. As father, his name is on my G. Grandmothers marriage certificate and I've been able to gather a lot of information.
My Mum and her twin brother never knew this story as they both passed away a couple of years ago. I wonder how they would have reacted to this news. The name Benjamin Peterkin had even been invented as my G. Grandmothers Father. I guess our ancestors never imagined a time when we could all sit in comfort at home and trawl through centuries of family connections. How difficult must it have been for a young Mary Peterkin in the mid 19th century giving birth to two illegitimate children.

If I can summarise the findings, please tell me if I get anything wrong..

Mary Peterkin born 1845 to John Peterkin and Mary Shepherd (m.1843 - Johns 2nd marriage)
We find Mary Senior, as Head of Household in 1851 an Inn Keeper (Dufftown) and again in 1861 (Balvenie St, Dufftown). Mary Jnr now aged 15.
In 1864, young Domestic Servant, Mary, gives birth to illegitimate son named John Young.
In 1868, an illegitimate daughter, Jane Ann, we now know was fathered by Benjamin Coull.
We see Jane Ann Coull, aged 2 in 1871, with her Grandmother, Mary Coull (Benjamin's Mother) and again, aged 12, still with her Grandmother in 1881.
Meanwhile, in 1871, we see Mary Peterkin Snr, in Dufftown with her 6 yo grandson John. Mary Jnr appears to have left the area.
But in 1881, we find a Mary Greig (nee Peterkin - aged 33) in Fulham, married to William Greig. Also there is Mary Peterkin Snr with her daughters 15 yo son John Young.
By 1891, Mary and William Greig have an 8 yo daughter, Rosanna Elizabeth. Mary Snr is still with them.
By 1901, Mary Jnr has passed away. Presumably so has Mary Snr. Widowed William Greig (in 1901 Census listed as Kincardineshire born) is living with his 18 yo daughter Rosanna and still in Fulham.

Wow. I'd never have got here without all your help. Thank you all so much.

Drew

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 March 24 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Good summary, Drew  :)

Monica