Author Topic: Where is PROUDLAW?  (Read 457 times)

Online AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is PROUDLAW?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 29 February 24 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Snippet image (courtesy of Find My Past) from the Newcastle Journal, 7 September 1850 -- 'and Prodlaw and Low Mill Estates in the Parish of Bamburgh'

I have looked at early maps of the area but I can't find where Prodlaw actually was. Low Mill could possibly be Adderston Lowmill.

Online AlanBoyd

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 29 February 24 20:19 GMT (UK) »
I've found Prodlaw on the 1842 tithe map, in the township of Adderstone (parish of Bamburgh).

On a modern map about 3 miles south of Belford the B6348 leads west to Bellshill Farm. On the other side of the A1 there are two farms marked as Adderstone Mains and Adderstone Low Mill. On the tithe map whilst the former is Adderstone Mains, the latter is Prodlaw, owner Thomas Henry Graham, occupier Henry Dinning.

The farm seems to be Adderstone Low Mill on early OS maps too.

Added: Newlands Estate, Warenton, to the west north of Bellshill has the same owner and occupier as Prodlaw and Henry Dinning can be found in the 1841 census in the township of Warenton as opposed to at Prodlaw in the township of Adderstone.
Boyd, Dove, Blakey, Burdon

Online Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 29 February 24 20:21 GMT (UK) »
A couple of snippet images (courtesy of Find My Past) confirming Prodlaw Bamburgh
That first snippet is very misleading as it infers that Prodlaw was a parish in its own right, which clearly is inaccurate, FindMyPast's 'transcripton' has  translated an 'abode' with a  'parish'

Boo

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 29 February 24 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much, Alan Boyd, for your skilful detective work in locating Prodlaw! I live a couple of miles away and had never heard of it. So many old names have completely disappeared and been replaced by new ones.  What would we researchers do without Rootschat?
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)